• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric winch on deuce

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if anyone has put an electric winch on a deuce, and what model? Is it satisfactory?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce winch is conservatively rated at 10,000#. The biggest of electrics from the off road world are rated at about 12,500#. I'd bet comparing these in a side by side pull would be comparing apples to jackasses. With that said, you can do alot with any winch provided you have enough cable and snatch blocks. As enterprising kids we removed a small block from a Chevy Vega with 4x4s, some old wooden hoist blocks and rope. I still almost exclusively use 2 part lines for everything I winch.

chevycrew

To give an idea, I use a 12,000lb electric winch on my Toyota 4runner. The reason is I mostly use single line pulls, faster line speed. But, pulling heavy trucks (like a 1 ton) even double line I have stalled the winch.

I would recommend the very minimum of the Warn 16.5ti. It has built in features to protect the winch from overheating, and is the largest electric available.

chevycrew

One thing to consider, a superduty ford, crew cab with powerstoke, loaded with hunting gear can easily tip the scales at 10,000lbs.

Once my m35 is finished (customized), I most likely will run the electric to save weight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another consideration is the cost of converting one to 24V or converting the truck to 12V. An electric could be useful as a second winch but if you're only going to have one, I'd stay with the factory one. I have seen a truck before with twin Warn 8274s on the front. The last thought is asthetics. The deuce winch just looks gnarly!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you ever build one there Clinto? I wouldn't mind having one but with the M108 working, I just don't need one.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, but I am going to at some point, just for the fun of it.

spicergear

Some of the brush truck buiders (the old 'Long Island Brush Truck,' for instance) got to the point of pulling the factory pto winches and plating the winch area and slapping on the largest elec winch on the market. Too many guys couldn't figure out the pto winch or would forget to disengage it and they just busted stuff up. I think Warn or MileMarker has a 15,000 out now...but not positive on that. They also offer 24V motor options. As long as your doing short pulls and winching smart, A winch is better then NO winch.

Elwenil

I think you would be better off with the stock Deuce winch. If you look at the cost of a used winch kit vs. a new electric, you are getting a lot more for your money with the PTO winch. Plus you never have to worry about killing the batteries, alternator, or the winch motor overheating. Another thing to think about is that the offroad winches don't have much as far as duty cycle. They are intended for self recovery and occasional use only. I wonder if the thread Lee posted about him pulling out that piece of construction equipment is still around? I'd like to see a Warn do that.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The size of the line that comes on an electric winch should be all the information needed. The idea of a two & a half ton truck hanging on 3/8" line is laughable!

Lee in Alaska

chevycrew

the Warn 16.5ti (16,500lb rating) runs 7/16" cable and is only available in a 12volt version.

the warn 15,000lb winch, also runs the 7/16 cable, and is available in 24volt version...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I like the duece winch because of the size of the cable and the length no electric will come close. It does take a bit to operate the duece winch and I can see the obvious reason one with the ease of operation.

I would not try to winch the duece out of any bad sticks with an electric but if you think about it you could mount one without the extensions and with less weight. I had to spend hundreds to get just the PTO and the driveshaft for the M52 and I did not get around to putting it on before the deployment so it sits in the cab waitiing on me to come home.

I could have installed an electric in a couple of hours spending the same money but the big winch does so much more for me just looking at it even not yet hooked up.

If you do the install take pictures.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is interested, I have a brand new 24V electric HMMWV winch with remote control for sale...$800. I have more in it. I believe the winch is rated at 9,000 pounds. The remote control feature is very nice as it lets you stand some what out of harms way.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, Bjorn...that is the beauty of the remote control for the HMMWV winch...it allows you to stand about 10 feet further to the side. I am not sure if this takes you out of harms way if the wire rope snaps, but it is better than standing directly next to the winch.