• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

rockman

I think that there are some large enough but would really drain the batteries. Look around for a PTO one as they can be found on projects trucks. I think the HMMV use an eletric one.

Bill

devilman96

A 24V 20,000lb winch would cost you far more than picking up a stock PTO set up including, shipping and rebuilding. . . its possiable. . . but why?

bottleworks

Or better yet, get a Deuce winch and power it via hydraulics. With that you could use Milemarker controls (like a wireless remote). But you would need to add an LDS pump for this to work. I don't like the PTO driven winch compared to electric/hydro. There is less control.

devilman96

Not to knock BW in any way but the LDS pump will not supply enough flow or PSI to power a winch. You would need a pto pump to run something like that. You would also want to disconnect it, if not you would run constant heat / psi on the system while robbing HP. . .

Alredneck

Banned
The new winchs they are putting on the humvee's are hyd 10,500 pounders I got one on the front of my dodge and have thought about putting it on the deuce considering the same line pull rating. It made by mile marker but there may or may not be some differances from civy winches besides the 24 volt hook ups. I dont have thoughs. It runs off my power steering pump and is enough for now but I worry about burning it up. I would like to install a cooler for it as well one day. The hyd would be a lot lighter than the stock deuce winch but im not sure if it was designed for that kind of ruggedness. I understand a uparmored humvee weight comes in close to a bone stock deuce when fully kitted out and combat loaded. And from my exprience in the field in Iraq these winch take alot of abuse and barely move the trucks when they get stuck. We ussualy prefer to use old air assault sling legs kinda like big bungies but rated at 25k. Mile marker does make a bigger hyd winch that might be a better option but you'd still need a pump to make it work.

Elwenil

I would have to say that the stock winch on a Deuce is very conservatively rated at 10k. An electric winch that would be comparable would be just as large as the Garwood plus the electric motor. I would think that even with 24V it wouldn't take long to drain the batteries. Most modern offroad recovery winches are very lightweight and planetary geared. They are not intended for recovering other vehicles, just self recovery. Repeated use seems to wear them out quickly. I do like hydraulic winches the best for control and longevity, but in the case of a Deuce, the stock setup is more then adequate and very cost effective for the work it can and will do. I honestly think an electric winch on a Deuce would be a large waste of money and would only be feasible on a vehicle that specifically required it for some reason.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose a PTO on the transmission could do for the pump on a hyd. winch? Would it be enough, or is that what you are already saying would be inadequate?

THUNDRLOJ

Sounds complicated! I have a deuce without a winch, here's my plan:
Buy and m816 and make my wife follow me in it when I go wheellin' in the Deuce!!

devilman96

What's the flow rate and relief setting of the LDS pump?
Specs totally depend on the pump... A VTM can range from .7 to 7GPM flow to 700-3000 PSI, it just depends on the model. Thus far I have seen 4 diffrently spec'ed pumps used on various 5 tons which avrage around 4gpm / 1400 PSI. If you try to put one with higher flow PSI it sounds like the gear's getting ready to eject it's self at about 1700 RPM and it eats the shaft seals right out of the pump.

I suppose a PTO on the transmission could do for the pump on a hyd. winch? Would it be enough, or is that what you are already saying would be inadequate?
A PTO pump would work wonderfully for the application...

Elwenil

On the electric bit, over at Ramcharger Central we are having a discussion with a soldier in Iraq about the 24V Warn 18k lbs winches that were for the MRAP vehicles. Apparently they are having trouble with them breaking and ripping off the trucks. In the words of the soldier, "wrong application for that set-up. 18000lbs. winch meets 21 ton SUV. s*** just don't add up."

Farmun

Bringing an old thread back to life, with some new questions...

This afternoon, I made a very good deal on a Warn M18 (24v, 18,000 lb. winch). Looks almost brand new, and the cable does not look like it has been unwound past the top layer. It's missing the remote control, but does have the mounting bolts. I'm looking to put this on the front of my Deuce, for those Uh-Oh moments only. Will have to fabricate a mount, make cables to the batteries, and locate the remote. Anyone done this? Anyone know where the remotes can be found without taking out a second mortgage on my home?

asgtoolman

I also bought a Warn M18 last week for what I think is a great deal. Mine is new and complete with remote and cables; should be here by middle of week. I will be happy to give you help with any info that comes with it.
I'm putting it on my bobbed deuce because I did not want the extra 12 or 16" it takes to put on a PTO driven winch.
I am hoping the M18 will come close to fitting behind the bumper in it's "stock" location.
I don't know if it will ever get used, but I will have it if I need it and can do it safely with the remote.

Farmun

Toolman,

I'd be very interested in knowing how your winch install works out. The real concern I have is locating the remote, for a reasonable price. I like the ideaf of mounting the winch on the stock bumper for the reason you mentioned. Please keep me in the loop. Pictures would be great !!!

asgtoolman

UPS delivered my winch yesterday; haven't taken it out of the box yet, but did pull out the paperwork.
Part # for REMOTE CONTROL ASSEMBLY is 72567 and can be obtained thru "your local dealer or distributor" I assume that is a logical place to start and at least you know what the retail value is and can look elsewhere if that price doesn't suit you.
I would google- WARN winches - and call the factory or find local distributor.

I also just received my new 24 volt electric 18,000 lb Warn winch for my M35A3. (No front PTO for using an A2 winch). My plan is to have a totally seperate electrical system with dual blue top Optimas. I'm thinking of using a dual voltage alternator for this dedicated electrical system. It is my understanding that these alternators make using 12 volt stuff easy as it will charge the batteries individually. (Or at least charge the one used for 12 volt loads). Any one have experience with these alternators in this type application?

dmetalmiki

my electric winch addition

I fitted a WARN 24volt winch to my M45. fire truck ( all controlled from inside the cab) looks really good with the proper bumper extentions etc. Works really well with a block. sorry the picture is not really large couldnt find another yet.

Attachments

Last edited: