• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Wipers for the Deuce

I hope this helps, as during my electric wipers conversion I had to use a lot of "artistic license," so to speak, for various reasons.

I couldn't afford the prices of the very few A3 electric wiper assemblies that I found available, and I didn't have the time to spend fabricating a replica of an A3 setup. So, I purchased 2 24-volt wiper motors (made by New Star) from Ted's Trucks on eBay. They arrived with no instructions nor documentation at all, and I spent a considerable amount of time researching how best to install these motors.

I couldn't find anything at all, other than A3 TM schematics, and as I didn't want to replicate that style of linkage setup, I simply bolted both motors into the stock Deuce windshield holes. These New Star motors only used 1 of the 2 machine-screw holes to mount the motor, so I used a machine screw with an O-ring on the outside to seal the unused hole. I mounted them in various ways, but couldn't find anything other than the way I have them mounted, that would make them fit appropriately. I'm sure that there's a better way, so hopefully we'll be able to find out from my mistakes.

I used Wire #27 for the gauges to power the wipers, as they don't draw that much current when in use. I ran the wires through a simple SPST switch that fit into the stock wiper switch hole in the dash. The wiper motors list the three screws as "+", "-", and "S". I assumed that the "S" screw terminal was for a switch to be wired in, but no matter how I wired these motors, I found that there was a direct connection (or short) between the negative and "S" (switch?) terminals, so I used those as grounds and wired in a positive (red wires) via the switch. When using the dash-mounted electrical switch, the wipers will NOT return to their original state but simply stop where they were when the switch was thrown, whereas when you use the motor-mounted toggle switch, the wipers will return to their resting/starting position. I couldn't find a wiring setup that would allow this with the switch. Oh well.

I don't like how they come to rest in the driver's field of view...however, I could always cut them off while out of my field of view too...just didn't think to do it last time I was driving.

Anyway, I hope these pics help...if anyone can think of a better mounting/operating method please feel free to chime in. So far this works for me, and is far better than the leaky/noisy/sticking actions of the old air motors.

View attachment 401781 View attachment 401782 View attachment 401783 View attachment 401784
Will these work with snow during the winter?