• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric wipers

Crazyguyla

Here are the technical drawings from uncle sam on adding electric wipers to the duece. The system was designed for the M35A3, but this is a kit to retrofit it to the A2/A1's and gassers. I have pictures of the main parts, but don't remeber where i put the camera. They will be uploaded soon.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not knocking the electric wipers here but is there some other problem with the air operated wipers?

houdel

Electric wipers! Criminey, what are you guys thinking of? The military has used air wipers for about 80 years now and I've never heard a single complaint about them (except the wiper blades suck, but that is easy to remedy)!

Whats next? A fully insulated, sound proofed cab? Power steering? Air ride suspension? Full air operated disc brakes? A custom sound system with 3000 watt amps? Windshield washers (yes, I know you can get a washer kit, but then I'd have to upgrade my wiper blades)? A windshield that doesn't leak like a sieve? Why not just get a M35A3?

Just kidding! Thought I'd add a little tounge in cheek humor. After all, this truck was designed in 1949 as an "improvement" to the WWII class of vehicles, so I guess a few upgrades are in order. But I'm content with the air powered wipers, I just Rain-Xed my windshield, so I don't use the wipers much anyhow. But I don't drive in the rain much either, the windshield and soft top leak so much I get soaked when I do! How about starting another thread on leakproofing the cab? With that taken care of, I might be interested in electric wipers and driving in the rain! Come to think of it, I'll start the new thread, all of you with any thoughts please jump in and share them with us!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If folks really want an improvement, add wipers to the inside too. I keep car squeegee in the cab just for that.

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
It seems a lot of guys here on SS say their soft top leaks a lot... mine doesn't leak at all, and it beads water nicely. Although mine is pretty new, I wonder if older soft tops that leak can be sealed up with Canvak? From what I've read it should be applied once a year to keep the canvas in good shape.

Sorry if this is getting off topic... I don't mean to take over this thread.

Regards,
Jon

Crazyguyla

Jon,

I think that's the stuff we used to coat our soft tops and tents with each year. I can't remeber what the stuff was, but we used street brooms to spread the stuff with. I know it was some kind of canvas sealer.

As for electric wipers, if you can afford them, they're a big improvemnt over the air wipers IMHO. The air wipers have more speed control, but they have terrible blades/ arms. I know the blade/arm upgrade is more cost effective than the electric wipers. After installing the electric wipers in my work duece ( still owned by the Gov't ), I had to have some for my own duece. Since Lee mentioned air ride suspension, there is an air ride seat made for the duece, standard in the A3, but can be fitted into the A2's and before, just have to trim one edge so the master cylinder door will open/ close. The seat is so comfortable, all it's missing is being able to recline.

oldordie

Thanks for all the inputs!

I appreciate the quick response from everyone. I got the kit in a trade for some other stuff and a good deal for me. My air wipers do work most of the time, however, have had them not work on a few rainy days and don't need the "popeye arms" from manually working the arms when required.I have a good fax number listed below and look forward to the directions. From looking at the prints, my kit is missing a lot more than I realized? I have the wipers, arms, motor, motor mount and the guards, no electrical parts.I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. I may have access to more kits and will pursue? My windshield seals were replaced and a new canvas soft top and no leaks at all. Had to remove the hard top for the 66 ring mount.
Mark Sawyer
FAX: 615-453-8779

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here are the technical drawings from uncle sam on adding electric wipers to the duece. The system was designed for the M35A3, but this is a kit to retrofit it to the A2/A1's and gassers. I have pictures of the main parts, but don't remeber where i put the camera. They will be uploaded soon.
This is from 10 years ago
I ask does anyone have this blueprint in a PDF format or the actual blueprint? Blueprints and shop drawings is all I ever worked with.

As almost always I seek all the help I can get, I haven't found soldier B yet.
I have the parts from a A3 now it goes into my A2 to install.
I work outside so I don't want the top off more than is necessary.
Anybody have pointers for me?

Last edited: