• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Connection Isolating "Goop" - what is it?

desmodromic

After melting a new battery post (likely due to a poor clamp connection - 24 volt is no joke), I want to limit as much arc'ing ,shorting, etc. as possible. Can anyone identify what this red insulating substance is on the posts of the battery cutoff switch and the main power post? I have noticed that it is on the studs of the passenger hi back seat as well.

I am getting ready to replace the battery cutoff switch as well as install a new one and high backs in my other HMMWV, so I would like to get a hold of said red "goop" to keep from frying my rigs.

Can anyone id the substance? A link would be even better.

Much appreciated.

Red Goop.jpg

Juskatla

You can use the dielectric grease on connections but for covering them there are rubber boots available in various sizes. Lots of sources, but for my marine stuff, I use Blue Sea Systems in Bellingham, Washington. They have great technical service if you have a question. Some of their stuff is rebranded Buss and other designs but their warranty is lifetime exchange. https://www.bluesea.com/

desmodromic

Thanks, Juanprado. I'll check it out. Sounds like that may suit my needs.

Justkatla, I'll track down some boots and agree with the Blue Sea recommendations. I run their components on my street vehicles that double as expedition/off road rigs.

With all the inherent issues of HMMWVs (and MVs in general), I want to make sure the electrical systems are squared away. Grounding harness goes on both HMMWVs tonight and I am hoping it solves a number of weird electrical issues with each mv.

papakb

The dielectric grease is know as Dow Corniung DC-4 anti-oxidant grease. We used it in the Navy for co-axial connectors with working voltages as high as 125Kv. It's available from places like Aircraft Spruce and McMaster-Carr and most electrical supply houses should carry it.

The red stuff on your batteries is probably commercial battery corrosion prevention spray and it loses it's effectiveness over the years where the DC-4 doesn't.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Jeff Nelson

If I may make another suggestion for you... On all my vehicles, I use a product called "copper shield". It looks like a copper paste with a consistency similar to grease. I put a small amount on the post where the battery cable clamp sits. It make the post/clamp interface air tight and promotes good contact. I don't have any issue with corrosion on the battery connections. Two things: it's not the most inexpensive stuff.... And second, you must be careful with actually putting it on. If you get some tiny amount on your fingers, you will find it on your face, your tools, and eventually you might have a copper colored truck... It works very well, though, and can be found at most electrical supply places.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks