• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical connector parts and crimpers

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who has the best prices on the Douglas connectors? Also where do you find the crimpers?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have seen the crimpers on a pretty regular basis on ebay (do a search for AF-8 ).

Best prices? Don't know, I would kind of like to do a group buy and get them cheap, I have a bunch of projects I need to do (backup lights, search lights, etc.).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found 2 under AF8, about 100$ each. Now are they universal for both Packard and Douglas? Guess I need to check with our AE's here at work and see what they have. Still need a Douglas connector source.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
According to Kevin Emdee, the packard and douglas crimper is the same because the "bullet" that crimps on to the wire is the same for both styles, only the outer shell is different. He demonstrated this to me by pulling a douglas shell off an old school taillight and putting a packard right over it.

The AF8's are never cheap-I have been watching eBarf for months hoping to catch one under the radar and have been unsuccessful.

There is another acceptable crimper out there and I can't remember the #.... I will have to look for it.

Kevin Emdee also has the douglas connectors:

Star Electric Ordnance Kevin Emdee, President 368 Big Oak Trail Radcliff, KY 40160-9749 Phone: 270-877-0813 Fax:270-877-5042 ...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://cgi.ebay.com/DMC-Daniels-AF8...yZ109566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is one of the DMC AF8 crimpers. Do they require the positioner and if so, which one? Or, do you just insert the wire and crimp where it looks good? I have free access to these from our Grumman guys but just need to know which one ( the -1 or -2) and which positioner, if any are used. The only difference I found between the -1 and -2 is that the -2 is shorter.

Michael

From a previous post:

The Daniels tool with the right head would definitely do the job, but I think the silver one is the one that comes with the terminal kit form the military. The pdf catalog has a lot of interesting info on crimping if you like that kind of thing.

Quote:
The DMC AF8 qualified to MIL-DTL-22520/1, has virtually limitless application within the specified wire range of 12 through 26 AWG. Over a thousand turret heads or positioners are available to adapt the tool frame to your specific military or proprietary contact/wire combination.
http://www.dmctools.com/default.htm

http://www.dmctools.com/_pdf/Catalog...olingGuide.pdf

Here is a link to a source for a new tool like the one in the kit

http://doitbest.com/Electrical+Tools-Ideal+Buchanan-model-C-24-doitbest-sku-514526.dib

The old post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=9878&highlight=crimper

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after further checking, the -2 is for very small crimpimg and will not work for us. MACCUS is sending me some packard connectors and I will do some experiments when they get here. Also, it seems the AF8 does not crimp in 8 spots but 2 sets of 4 crimps with a untouched area between them. Also here are the cheapest packard connectors i've found so far: http://eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rushcoq20msa.html Still looking for Douglas connectors and have not been able to get in touch with Kevin Emdee yet.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto-good link. When I get the packard connectors i'll try the NX-4 with dies along with the AF8 and see which works better. The NX-4 doesn't seem as though it would be that good since it doesn't compress in a circle (more like a "D" shape). As for buying another type, I have access to more DMC tools than I could ever use so i'll just borrow them for now from our contractors.

AN/ARC186

If you don't have a crimp set soldering will do nicely. As an AE on helo's for 15 years,I can tell you, the pins that were soldered gave us the least problems.

Tanner

Solder vs crimp... the ages-old discussion...

Interesting to note that all of the connectors that I quote & sell for military applications are crimp - Has been this way for the last 6 years for me... :)

If it flies, floats, or land-crawls in the military, the crimp variety of connector is the only thing I've sold -

"Tanner"

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

That's true, a lot we used were crimp but we still liked the solder type better.and best of all you can always solder a crimp pin.
'course I was working on N model Huey's so modern it wasn't.

Heath_h49008

This seems to be the best thread for this from what I have found in my search.

I'm in need of the pin tools required to pull the cannon plugs apart on an M35A2. I will simply solder the new wire/connections and reassemble.

Any tool part numbers or designations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: