• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical fire

nchittendon

The beginning of the surgery. Figured it easier in the long run to just remove the fender. It has a hole in it anyways, so what better time to fix that too.
1907986_10154194833185657_3862706353173885313_n.jpg

We've located the issue, and will be operating soon. The patient is relaxing for the time being.
11942_10154194830220657_1835267950959123776_n.jpg

And in the midst of removing the fender, found another potential problem lurking in the shadows...
10294320_10154194836125657_8546195570598432542_n.jpg

nchittendon

So is there constant power to the horn, even when the truck is off? I have one wire in this mess that is constant power. I'm assuming it's to the horn since the horn button is the ground.

nchittendon

Got the wiring sorted after some time with a test light and soldering iron.
DSCN5632.jpg

This is what I started with.
DSCN5628.jpg

Once the wires were wrapped with tape, I then wrapped them with a piece of coolant hose (where they would contact the frame) and then put the ribbed plastic tubing over it as well. lol It won't rub through there again!!

Also, as long as the fender was off, I got rid of a nasty rust hole and welded in some new metal.

In doing all of this, I learned that one of my rear taillights is a complete LED convert......while the other is not. Both taillight housings are plastic, and one of them is cracked.

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And in the midst of removing the fender, found another potential problem lurking in the shadows...
View attachment 491838
Where exactly is this located at? From the closeness of the picture I'm a bit lost as to where we're looking. If it's also on the driver's side but "in front" of the wire harness bundle you just repaired, then I just covered that hose, as it too had wear from the frame!

Thanks for posting all this though, I checked my harness bundle on both the passenger (below the air cleaner) and driver's side (just like yours here), and found obvious wear as well. I covered them with coolant hose too, though perhaps I should get some of that ribbed plastic tubing as well.

Last edited:

nchittendon

Valence, the pic you're looking at is the driver side, up towards the radiator support. I believe it is the wires for the driver side lighting that goes through there. And as you pointed out, the harness under the air cleaner as well got the same protection as my driver side one. All were in contact with the frame, and I would assume with 40 years of vibration they weren't going to hold up much longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks