• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Issue for 1986 CUC-V M1008

I work for an auto electric shop, and one thing the owner is always saying to folks that come in with battery cable issues: When replacing battery cables never use ones with steel ends IE if you look at a standard aps (auto parts store) even one like napa, you will find the off the shelf battery cables have a stèel fitting on the end that would attach to the frame or starter, the lug end. use a magnet to rule out the steel end.

ok you ask whats wrong with steel lugs on the end steel does not conduct like brass or copper.

MarcusOReallyus

This is no substitute for the real battery hardware. Some of my CUCVs have 6TAGMs and some have 31s. Too much battery investment to have them bouncing around. It is worth it to secure them, and most of us learned the hard way.
Yep.

I found the military-issue hold downs work fine for my Group 31 Exides from Tractor Supply. No modifications required.

rlltide12

That is the GP relay. You can take a jumper wire and go from a good ground to the small terminal with the blue wire attached to see if you have power or not. If you get a heavy click, your relay is good. Grab a multimeter and see if you have 12 volts on both large pins coming from the relay. But if your motor is not "turning over" you have bigger troubles.

rlltide12

Did you do the doghead relay? If so, check for 24 volts on the red supply wire. Then turn the key and see if the DH relay clicks. If you have both, you have a problem with the main 24 volt feed line going to the starter from the battery or a bad ground. If your relay clicks, but no start and no 24 volts on the red wire, you have a fuseable link issue on the 24 volt red starter relay feed wire. If you have 24 volts on the red wire at the DH relay but no click when you turn the key and no 12 volt feed to the DH relay on the purple/white wire, you have a blown fuse on the starter relay feed wire (purple/white). And last but probably most unlikely, if you have 12 volts to the starter relay when you turn the key (purple/white), 24 volts on the red feed wire to the relay, and no click, you have a bad starter relay. That is where I would start checking first.