• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical outlet receptacle?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... I'm perusing the TMs as I am EXTREMELY bored at work and come across item 20 on the picture below labeled "Electrical Outlet Receptacle" that, according to the TM "provides battery voltage for extension cord trouble light" and item 21 which is a "Auxiliary Outlet Receptacle" which "is plugged into electrical receptacle outlet" which allows you to plug in a "trouble light" to be powered by the vehicle batteries.

Screenshot_20210827-194342_Samsung Notes.jpg

My questions:

What is this "trouble light"? Is it literally a light like a drop light or is it some sort of specialized military gear?

What voltage is being sent to these?

And as I'm offshore, does anyone have a pic of the items in question, specifically the face/plugs?

Thank all!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So... I'm perusing the TMs as I am EXTREMELY bored at work and come across item 20 on the picture below labeled "Electrical Outlet Receptacle" that, according to the TM "provides battery voltage for extension cord trouble light" and item 21 which is a "Auxiliary Outlet Receptacle" which "is plugged into electrical receptacle outlet" which allows you to plug in a "trouble light" to be powered by the vehicle batteries.

View attachment 843705

My questions:

What is this "trouble light"? Is it literally a light like a drop light or is it some sort of specialized mikutary gear?

And as I'm offshore, does anyone have a pic of the items in question, specifically the face/plugs?

Thank all!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a close up pic of the sockets in the dash itself? I have a friend who may have that light laying around, just need to verify the shape of the outlet/plug.

Bill W

I installed a newer style aux power supply outlet in my Deuce., I can hook up my MRE heater and the newer style trouble/spotlights. I don't have part # and company I bought it from is long out of business but they do turn up at Mil shows and Epay.100_1245.JPG100_6224.JPG

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea an extra light nice to have. Picked this one up at the Ga. rally and it has magnetic base. I have not installed a cig lighter receptacle in my 915 yet. Also thought about changing the end to match theout let on the 915 like Wes said was there. Plenty of cord so I do not think it would matter much and lighter receptacle would be easer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found this on Ebay..... ordered and on the way!

View attachment 843858
Just observing, I can't help but wonder if you will need to light a match to see the light.

I have two lights that appear about the same design and shape/size as the light in that handle. Those two lights on my M936 have nice "yellowish" tungsten filament bulbs. Into a pitch black night, it would be more than enough light see objects up close. On the boom, I installed (mounted) a big LED on the holder that didn't have a fixture. It easily puts out twice the light and reaches much farther into the darkness.

In my van, I have carried a 40,000 candlepower hand held spotlight for at least 30 years. Stupid Kid stuff, like being able to turn off the streetlights and irritating the neighbors was its primary use. Now days, chances are you would get shot for doing stuff like that... ANYHOW, over the years I got a little smarter and quit being an idiot and used the light for its intended purpose. Works great if broken down on the side of the road and need to change a tire.

The reflector has almost as much to do with the quality of the light as the bulb. Bigger is better for sure. Beyond that I just figured I needed to mention it.

So, my old light is 12 volt, so either I will need to install a 12v cigarette lighter plug or find another way. Big advantage to a plug in light is that the battery powered alternative laying in the truck uncharged would be pretty useless. Until your truck batteries die.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

View attachment 843705

My questions:

What is this "trouble light"? Is it literally a light like a drop light or is it some sort of specialized military gear?

Thank all!
Okay so I love these guys but the plugs you found are on the wreckers and are not cigarette lighter style plugs. They are for a small handheld drop light, not much like the one shown but a bulb like a tail light and a small metal globe cover that opens like a pair of eye lids. Will see if I can lay hands on one to photograph it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Okay so I love these guys but the plugs you found are on the wreckers and are not cigarette lighter style plugs. They are for a small handheld drop light, not much like the one shown but a bulb like a tail light and a small metal globe cover that opens like a pair of eye lids. Will see if I can lay hands on one to photograph it.
Jeff,

Is that plug in the center of the back of the cab where they plug in?
That seems to be the only "plug" that I seem to find on my M936.

Tim Mullaney

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you're saying the light I ordered **isnt** the light that goes to my plug? 🤦‍♂️

Meh, if that's the case I'll pay it forward to someone who can use it... 🤷‍♂️

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So you're saying the light I ordered **isnt** the light that goes to my plug? 🤦‍♂️

Meh, if that's the case I'll pay it forward to someone who can use it... 🤷‍♂️
Well that's interesting... I didn't see a cigarette plug on your light Ken.
Or at least I thought I wasn't seeing one.
I presumed it was a two or three pole plug...

Tim

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's interesting... I didn't see a cigarette plug on your light Ken.
Or at least I thought I wasn't seeing one.
I presumed it was a two or three pole plug...

Tim
Without me being home to look at it, I can only go off descriptions... the TM stated it was for a "trouble light" and that's a pretty specific description, so I did a dedicated search for the term "trouble light" and ordered the results.

Like I said, if it isn't the correct light, it isn't too costly and I'm sure someone who CAN use it will appreciate it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got me searching around this morning

IMG_1985.jpg

Anyone know what this plug is for, appears to be a 4 pin quick lock? Also looks to be an addition with the lack of paint and half assed zip tied across the bottom of the dash. Didn’t have time to trace it but seems to go through the firewall over near the PCB.IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1984.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You got me searching around this morning

View attachment 843918

Anyone know what this plug is for, appears to be a 4 pin quick lock? Also looks to be an addition with the lack of paint and half assed zip tied across the bottom of the dash. Didn’t have time to trace it but seems to go through the firewall over near the PCB.View attachment 843919
View attachment 843920
Maybe it was something "unit specific" on your truck?
Could be interesting to measure voltage to see what could have been plugged in there.
The plugs on the back of my M1089 are small 3 pin (why three?) connectors that drive the Convoy Lights.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of these days I need to do some sanding on the bumper and see what the other unit markings are.IMG_1989.jpg
Yep, If no one knows what it is, I’ll track down where the other end goes and see if I can figure out what each pin is connected to.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What got
One of these days I need to do some sanding on the bumper and see what the other unit markings are.View attachment 843921
Yep, If no one knows what it is, I’ll track down where the other end goes and see if I can figure out what each pin is connected to.
What got me looking at it was that I have the same cap assembly under my dash- circled and labeled item 20 on this:

Screenshot_20210831-134704_Chrome.jpg

Which is item 20 on the drawing above... so if you could remove that cap and take a pic, I would be grateful!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks