• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical problems are starting to annoy me, help?

Dabba

The first electrical issue ive been ignoring. The right directional indicator does not work, and the left directional indicator stays on solid with the headlights on, but it blinks when used headlights on or not. I've ignored it because its not vital, and the directionals work on the outside of the truck as they should. Ive noticed the problem would come or go, but now its constant, i figure its a bad ground.

The second issue is more annoying and is making me look into it. Whats happening is my turn signal and sidemarker on the front drivers side does not come on with the headlights as they should. They signal fine, but dont stay on with the headlights. At first i thought it was the bulb, but after replacing it i noticed the issue did not go away, and that the sidemarker was displaying the same problem.

So are these both bad grounds? Where are the grounds on the truck so i could check? I'm not very good with electical, but i have a voltmeter. I think i should check to see if its grounded properly and if it is, then what? If not i guess i trace he ground wire.

I assume the sidemarkers/signal share the same ground but what about the indicators? If its not a ground issue what else could it be? Thanks.

1stSarge

Check the splices where the turn signals in front connect to the marker lights. Mine had been replaced in the past, and this connection just fell apart when I touched it.

And as always…. All of the problems could be in the instrument cluster circuit film, and bulb sockets.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced instrument cluster circuit film & it help a lot in faulty light & etc.
Grounding some times can be the problem or bad wire's.
In the past had some problems wire harness through connection on bulk head.
Or fuse block.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028A1 had similar issues, traced the problem to cracked ground contacts inside the bulb sockets. Once replaced, the problem was gone.

dependable

The advice above is good. I also always buy a HD commercial grade flasher unit, the two pronged thing on the lower fuse box,(the other one up top is for emergency flashers.a HD unit is fine for there as well) the regular cheep ones are less than $5, the good ones are $15 - 20, well worth it, nice solid cllicking sound as well. These units may outlast your truck, Other than that, check bulbs and grounds . a bad bulb in running light system can affect the rest of the circuit

IowaFamilyGuy

Is it worth 575.00 for a Painless harness when you have electrical issues with a 1008? Or do you think that the majority of the repairs were close enough to original that line testing and wire tracing is plenty sufficient?

I've been thinking about the fact that the Belts and hoses have aged so much over time, that the wiring may have too. Or am I just thinking too hard?

bshupe

I would like to resurrect this thread if you dont mind.

My 1031 signal indicators stay on all the time, blink (on/off/on) when the turn signal is actuated and all lights outside seem to function normally. The other day I did notice the left signal indicator go out slowly and then come back on again.

Does this seem to fall into the same category as the OP here?

Thanks for any input.

Barrman

Do the blinkers and front marker lights function correctly when the headlights are on? Post #4 above found the problem many of these trucks had. Plastic bulb holders and cheap, brittle ground contacts that break off. Pull the bulb holders and use a wire to ground the bulbs directly. Then see if everything works right.

mr.travo

Barrman! You are the man! Been messing with this same thing ALL DAY and after reading what you said about the ground tabs breaking off, I found my problem (I hope). Is that an OEM only part? I was searching on Autozone and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

mr.travo

Just FYI for everyone that's in the same boat, I found out my issue. The grounding tab was missing because it had broken off. I stuck a small wire from where the tab used to be and stuffed it next to the bulb. It will work for right now and am going to find me a front marker/turn socket this week. I had spent hours reading schematics trying to figure out the problem. I went ahead and replaced the splice wire as well just to be sure.

Travo