• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Problems with Flashers

Good day everyone, I am having an electrical problem with my M1009 that has been bothering me for a little while, but I just can't seem to get down to the bottom of this. Here is my description followed by a few questions...

The problem is the fact that my passenger turn signal light (and side marker) come on and stay solidly lit with my pull my headlight knob to the first position (for only dash) along with the LEFT turn signal indicator being lit (so it's the opposite??). But this stays the same also if the headlights are on too. With the knob all the way pushed in, there are no lights present. Also, my 4 ways, and my turn signals do work normally, just that this light and the opposite signal indicator stays lit for some reason. Now for my questions...

Is this a bad ground? If so, does anyone know where the ground location is for those flasher assemblies?

Could it be bad traces behind the gauge cluster? I know I MIGHT have a problem with my traces because one dash bulb (the one between the fuel gauge and the speedometer wont light). If these electrical signals use the traces, does anyone know the possible location on where that might be?

Any proposes on where the origins of the problem might be coming from that wasn't mentioned above?

Thanks everyone, I am sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance Soldiers!

dmetalmiki

Definitely start with the grounding, It can be tricky and time consuming, but that is the most likely cause of those problems. Let us know the outcome, (solution).

I am going to take a look at it first thing in the morning! I appreciate all the input thus far folks! I recall on an old Chevy LUV I had, the flasher bulb had a similar problem but only when I cut on the headlights, this one seems to come on whenever the instrument panel is on, which leads me to wonder if it could be something else. Hopefully it's just a bad ground... Will report with my findings ASAP!

Didn't know that! That's a very useful hint actually, I am going to see what's going on. Whenever I had this problem in the past, the flasher wouldn't work, but in this case, everything works, so I wonder what it could be! I'll check the grounds, and if I turn out dry, then I'll dig deeper. (I had no idea those lights come on since my last truck didn't have that feature!) Thanks again!

Just to be sure, is there any other "lines" that oil can pour out of other than the 2 bigger cooler lines that go under the bell housing to the driver's side? I know there was a vacuum line but we deduced no fluid goes through there. Anything else? Again, it's above the starter area. Just wanna check in one more time before I go buy anything or make false conclusions!

richingalveston

Next to, beside and behind the starter you have: fuel line runs the frame rails next to start also the brake lines, front and one going to rear. you would know pretty quick if these were having problems. The tranny cooler lines turn before the starter and go to the driver side. The oil lines start at the filter on the other side of the block form the starter. your tranny dipstick tube and fitting where it goes into the tranny are just behind the starter.

above the starter you have fuel filter and lines. the tranny dipstick opening is above. check your fuel return lines on your injectors. Diesel on a dirty motor can look like motor oil. return lines can leak and not cause poor engine performance. all other fuel lines you will have engine problems if they have problems.

Also your CDR valve is up high and can be caused of drips but not real leaks.