• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical System Understanding

coyotegray

I'm working on acquiring a M1009 and have been reading up... It's been a long time...

Do I have this right that the electrical system is something of a hybrid. The starter and black out lights are 24v and the rest is 12v..?

Thanks,
Andy..

1986Blazerk5

The starter is 24v, everything else is 12v, the reason they made it 24v is so it can be jump started by another military vehicle using the slave cables, also the military radios are all 24v

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on acquiring a M1009 and have been reading up... It's been a long time...

Do I have this right that the electrical system is something of a hybrid. The starter and black out lights are 24v and the rest is 12v..?

Thanks,
Andy..
On a stock system the starter, glowplugs (not the controler) and the radio hookups are the only 24v items.

The blackout lights are 12v.

If you need some help with your purchase let me know.

Warthog

coyotegray

How is the military trailer wiring setup..? Relays..?

So.. I can use a standard Chevy trailer wiring T-connector harness...?
I will want to set it up with a civi 7-way RV connector...

Thanks,
Andy..

Crash_AF

How is the military trailer wiring setup..? Relays..?

So.. I can use a standard Chevy trailer wiring T-connector harness...?
I will want to set it up with a civi 7-way RV connector...

Thanks,
Andy..
The trailer plug is 12V. Yes, you can tap in/use a T Connector harness to add a modern civvy trailer plug. Use a commercial harness for a pre-85 truck though.

The glow plugs are 12V, the resistor feeding them is supplied from 24V. The controller card CANNOT handle 24V and will die a smokey death if 24V is applied to it for very long.

Later,
Joe