• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electromagnetic pulse and deuce electrical system

gene

Despite the raised eyebrow or two that may result from this question, I must ask. What parts of the deuces electrical system would be rendered inoperable by EMP? Yes, I realize that one would not need to worry should one be to close to the "event." Spare parts in a Faraday box might be a good idea. As always, thanks.

Sua Sponte
Gene

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I drove my deuce for about 100 miles with the headlights on and no alternator- so basicly, if you park it on a hill, you don't even need the electrical system.

The batteries did run the lights and the intank pump fine, and still had plenty of juice left, even after restarting the truck 6 times. The truck will run without the intank pump working I'm told, so it shouldn't matter. Really any diesel will run this way, as long as you have a way to spin start it and no electronic crap on it and a mechanical or gravity fuel system.

Westech

CPL
you know about the only good thing that would come out a EMP and a deuce is maybe that god forsaken low air busser would get cooked. every MV I drive I take the wire out on that thing. On my 813 I took the buzzer out so my "friend" could not hook it up anain.

FreightTrain

Banned
pretty much...Nothing....Everything would survive on a deuce except MAYBE the gauges or some of the gauges......The flasher might not work any more.....Maybe the regulator on the Alternator but that is pretty much it.....

FreightTrain

Banned
Only thing you have to worry about is solid state electronics.AKA chips.Not too many Chips in a deuce.They were build that way for a reason.....unlike the modern day stuff......even though I bet they have "Hardening" stuff on everything to combat an EMP.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The duece will survive much more radiation of both gamma rays and electronic waves than any human will so make sure you and your loved ones are protected before worring about the duece.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the new headlight switch was NOT speced to be esd proof. since the mil forgot to call for that they built them with off the shelf parts that are static sensitive. once they are installed there is no static issue but i don't think anything electrical on any vehicle would survive emp, you are talking about thousands of volts, all gauges, lights alt, flasher would probably fry.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think the likelyhood of an EMP producing blast to be quite low since the current defense stature is such that a dirty bomb or 9-11 type of terror is more likely. I think we face greater danger from liberal polical figures than an EMP

rmgill

cranetruck said:
There is something inherently wrong about warfare that relies on armor so much that performance is inhibited.
I just can't parse this Bjorn? What are you saying? Go back to muskets at 100 yards and wooden ships?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene. Probally the best insurance is to ground the truck to earth. Get yourself a grounding rod at lowes or home depot and sink it to the ground at the trucks parking spot. make yourself a quick disconnect and wire it to the frame and plug it in. Hopefully the pulse will go to ground and not harm the alternator.

jasonjc

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I think the likelyhood of an EMP producing blast to be quite low since the current defense stature is such that a dirty bomb or 9-11 type of terror is more likely. I think we face greater danger from liberal polical figures than an EMP

The last part scare the hell out of me more than anything.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
cranetruck said:
There is something inherently wrong about warfare that relies on armor so much that performance is inhibited.
I just can't parse this Bjorn? What are you saying? Go back to muskets at 100 yards and wooden ships?
Ryan, for one thing the targets have to become less attractive to the enemy.