• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eletric to Air Horn Conversion??

hammerdown

Hi people, can someone tell me please how hard
or simple it is to change from a standard eletric
horn that might as well not be on there as you
can't here it.
To a Air Horn system that's far better,would def
like to fit this for the better.
What sort of job is this? And is there a horn conversion
kit availible to do this??

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a huge project.
Get the air horn and the electrically operated air valve (often comes with it), do some plumbing, add a push button switch and you are done.
The modification was done after delivery on this truck (MWO) and the horn was mounted on the outside, for lack of a better place. I have both on my truck, the electric is the original center-of-steering-wheel button and the air horn is operated with a separate dash mounted switch...

Attachments

hammerdown

I totally understand where your coming from,but surely
you can use the excisting steering wheel button
to activate the horn as iv seen them before activating
the air horn??
Or have I a different setup to that??

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you can use the normal horn button, it's just another switch and I can see using the electric horn in some situations when it's not necessary to scare the living daylight out of somebody. :)
Take a look at the wiring diagram, wire #25 is for the horn...air or electric.

hammerdown

Ok, cool well it's sounding better all the time.
You say the air horn normally comes with the
eletric contact. Is that all one unit then?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but look carefully, when shopping, the air solenoid may or may not be included. It would be fitted between the horns and the electrical "Packard" connector visible. There are some on ebay as we speak.
Happy shopping!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammerdown, I did this exact same thing on my m109. The horn button on the steering column is the ground, and the positive goes to the electric horn at all times. Just get a deuce horn with solenoid valve, and wire it up just like the electric, one wire to one side, another to the other.

Here's how I did it, except I used a boat horn and 24v solenoid valve I had laying around. Not original, but everyone knows at rallys, 'that's ferro' ;-)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/36248-new-horn-loud.html

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a used horn off of a Kenworth (still had a piece of the cab attached) and mounted it on the inner fender. I painted it camo and the added a manual valve on the steering column. I finished it off by tapping into the air supply on the back of the air selector switch for the front end and running to the horn. Quick and easy, cheaper than a stock M35 air horn and a LOT louder. And I still have the little beep beep electric horn.

If you go this route try and get a good used horn vice the cheap import stuff they have and a metal valve vice plastic. You can use copper tubing or plastic tubing with the correct rating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks