• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eliminated My Sprags

KenzMan

Well some of you may remember me having issues with my sprag shifter and then my sprags themselves . Well I took them all apart again and decided to leave them out this time . First pic is the tools I used for the job . Second pic is half done and the third is ready to go . By grind the teeth off of one of the sprag housings I'll be able to lock and unlock the front output . I'm using the truck offroad so I left the teeth on the housing that will be engaged with the fork in its natural position . I have to make a shifter with some kind of a hook or something for when I want to disengage the front since the spring will be trying to push the fork back out to the engaged position . The only thing with this setup is that the locking collar is designed to mesh with one sprag housing or the other , not spin on it so I wouldn't recommend spinning the back tires with the front disengaged . I only done this to eliminate some driveline bind incase in do end up on asphalt or other hard pack , driving like that will have minimum spinning between parts so I think it will work out good . If I wasn't so impatient and didn't have so much other stuff going on I would have had a piece machined to replace the sprags just to make it all a little stronger , however I think this is going to hold up just fine . I did find a new assembly but by the time I would have got it here it would have cost me close to 500 which I dont have to throw around right now . If I want to replace the sprags down the road , everything I welded can be pressed off the shaft and then replace with new parts .

P.S. - If anyone has one of these and is going to send it to scrap let me know , I would certainly pay scrap price to have a spare .

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........................................ driving like that will have minimum spinning between parts so I think it will work out good .........
Emmmm.....that depends what you call minimum.....:roll:
If you didn't replace the gears for the correct ratio (21/34 ---> 22/33) it will always be min. 8%, disengaged.
Not saying it won't work, though!

G.

KenzMan

Yes , there will be some spinning even when going straight due to the gear ratio to the front but is should be a slow speed spin for any situation I should have it in so I think it should hold up alright . For the most part the front will be staying engaged .