• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency help with dead deuce

davidkroberts

dont really know why about the tanks being low just always was told it and it seems to make sense. I still wont run it below a quarter full ever because of it. old habits wont die.

Oh and dont worry about running it out of fuel im sure YOUR the first person on the forum to ever do that...:roll:

like the time i spent 4 hours trying to figure out why my m715 wouldnt start and the points wouldnt gap right even if everything was set right.... yeah it was out of gas, tank said 1/4 tank though......:D

chicklin

The nice thing about these motors (and older diesels, in general), is that there isn't really much to troubleshoot. Is it getting air? Is it getting fuel? Do you have compression? Is the exhaust escaping? That's about it. 3 of those 4 are pretty easy to rule out. You just figured out how to test the fourth.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why dose everyone assume when you run a tank low your sucking more stuff off of the bottom than when it is full? It dose NOT have a foating siphon/ pickup. It is statinary and is ALWAYS sucking from the SAME spot......The Bottom.2cents

P.S., Good job OP.
As your tank gets lower on a duece, the fuel can slosh around easier, moving any dirt that has settled on the bottom. This would mean that dirt has more chance of getting sucked up as you go through a tank normally, not just when you get down to the bottom. With that in mind, it's a good idea to pull the screen out ocaisionally to check for sediment.

Stan Leschert

If there ever was a right place ... you found it! I'm glad that you're safe at home. Now is the time to download the Technical Manual for your truck and read it until your eyes spin. I think that our reference library is back on line, otherwise go to jtonka.com . I'm sure that others will correct me with the current links. Now... Post some pics of your truck! nopics

ODdave

As your tank gets lower on a duece, the fuel can slosh around easier, moving any dirt that has settled on the bottom. This would mean that dirt has more chance of getting sucked up as you go through a tank normally, not just when you get down to the bottom. With that in mind, it's a good idea to pull the screen out ocaisionally to check for sediment.
This is mildly understandable but when you are driving, That fuel is sloshing around, When you are filling up, That fuel is sloshing around, And when it is just plain running the return line + suction line is moving fuel around. I am not saying its OK to run your tank low (in-tank pumps use the fuel to keep them cool) but I just dont buy the "its gonna suck the dirt off the bottom" saying.

frodobaggins

This is mildly understandable but when you are driving, That fuel is sloshing around, When you are filling up, That fuel is sloshing around, And when it is just plain running the return line + suction line is moving fuel around. I am not saying its OK to run your tank low (in-tank pumps use the fuel to keep them cool) but I just dont buy the "its gonna suck the dirt off the bottom" saying.

Ever used a shop vac on a large dirty puddle ?
Watch what happens to the dirt/debris in the puddle when the water is almost gone.

randini

Live and Learn. I am sure you will know what to do Next time! I am surprised no one mentioned "not to trust the fuel gauge"!!!!! By the way, most of us (ME!) have learned this the hard way...

dmetalmiki

what a co-in-sigh-dense

Preparing to go to a show this weekend. "ooo lets drain any water and sediment from fuel and filters. Did that. (you-all pre guessing this?)..hit the go button ..rumble rumble rumble --no start!...pre heat..it ran for a few seconds. */**@##..YA.. B.........d... . crack the line to the first filter under the wing (fender)..a gush of sorts..BUT..not enuf gush!!..more ***/'### the tanks under the praga radio body..Cut a hole in the floor?..no lets put the spare tank on.. ooops..it's only a 50 gallon'er. SO..cup o tea..drain tank remove tank.. remove the (dreaded(typical!!)) pump!..try it on the plug..spins like a ....? what? not a working pump..looks like the (murpy) rotator has come loose on the shaft..hence reduced flow. Now what ..I did want to cruise up tommorow early..ho hum.I look through my "fuel cuboard"..two spare pumps..nahh..not thay way...box, curtassy of the good ol U.S. of A...(4 years its been there hiding....and in same, TWO new bottom rotators complete. I'ts 10 pm..enufs enuf 4 today...I will put it all back tomorrow..( with the 60 gallon tank) mebbe I will get to the show after all.....on time?..well early night and let's see......((they will run without the pump (some will) but some will not. this one I reckon came all the way from beltring thus...And I did notice "hold back!" on occasion. I will take pictures of the put together tommorrow.

paulfarber

Why dose everyone assume when you run a tank low your sucking more stuff off of the bottom than when it is full? It dose NOT have a foating siphon/ pickup. It is statinary and is ALWAYS sucking from the SAME spot......The Bottom.2cents

P.S., Good job OP.

Its more about the % of fuel vs junk. You are more likely to suck rust when the ratio of fuel to rust is high (as in an empty tank). If the primary filter can 'catch' 1 lb of crud, but the fuel/crud dilution is low, the filter will not clog very fast. Increase the amount of crud you pump to the filter because the ratio of crud to fuel is 10x as much (due to only having 5 gallons vs 50 gallons of fuel) and you clog that filter much more quickly.

IIRC the pickup is adjustable and should be about an inch up from the bottom. I think that gives you almost 5 gallons of sediment.

I remember that some people have cleaned the tank and dropped the pump as low as it would go to get as much useable fuel as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks