• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency load out help needed in Las Vegas Tomorrow!

codyharper15

Things just aren't going my way today. It's actually a little comical if I have a good attitude. Here's the story. I'm scheduled to pick up my m915 and m146 tomorrow at Nellis at 8am, but a handful of things hedged up my way. First thing, I failed the driving portion of my CDL test, I just got in my car that is transporting me to Nellis, but it wont start (It had a check engine light on so I went to Auto Zone to see what the code was. After running the test, it wont start). Also, I had to push back my pickup time a few weeks in order to get all the details of the trip worked out, so I just got an abandonment notice if I don't get it out by the 28th.

So, is there anybody in the Las Vegas area who can pull the truck and trailer out of Nellis and park for a few days for me? I am willing to pay, of course.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crap, I'm right in the middle of a training certification course. Let me see what I can figure out.

PM on its way.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to call the GL site on base asap if you can't get it out by the 28th. They will usually work with you if you can't make it by the deadline. If you don't make arrangements and you miss the 28th deadline, they will cancel the sale and hit you with a abandonment fee. The only way to get the truck if that happens is to pay the fee and rebid on the truck when it comes back up for sale.

agazza2

Just wanted to post a quick reply about the Awesome experience I had having Silverstate55 help me get my M915A1 from Nellis AFB. Since they are only open Mon-Thursday, it is hard for me to get 2 days off work. So after seeing this post, I asked Silverstate55 if he might be able to help me get the M915A1 off Nellis on Thursday and I would pick it up on Friday.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with everything that Silverstate55 did for me prior to picking up the vehicle. Prior to the EUC clearing he went over and did a full inspection and let me know the results, and what I should be prepared for when arriving. Full details right down to some rust on the upper roof. This vehicle was ready for the trip back, other than installing the exhaust. On the day that Silverstate55 picked up the truck, he even took the time to install the exhaust back on the truck, at his friends shop (Paid2Play). The truck was then stored at Piad2Play over night, until I picked it up in the morning. He had went far above what I expected for anyone to just pick up the truck for someone he did not even know. Thank you so much SilverState55.

The trip back from Nellis AFB to Austin Texas was great with no problems. Ended up taking I-40, then cutting across 84 to Lubbuck, TX then on to Austin. Took the wife along, so we made stops at Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon along the way. The top speed was 64mph, after the engine seemed to break in more. The motor in this is marked MIL-400 Big Cam III, re-manufactured in 2001 by Cummings. Sure does have a lot of power when accelerating. The only things I noticed from the 1300+ mile trip that I will have to fix is a vibration at 60-64mph, heater does not work on high, and wiper motors may need new vacuum lines run, as occasionally they are slow.

This was another successful recovery from Nellis AFB, with the help of Silverstate55. The only thing I would do different next time is take I-10 like I did during my recovery of my M923. Being on 84 for long distances with out no traffic, and strong dust storms would not have been good if the vehicle were to break down.

Now the fun begins on the M915 to repaint, and find the needed parts for door seals, AC kit, and convert over to high-back black seats. Also want to find all the interior dash data plates, or have them made.

codyharper15

m915a1 top speed question

agazza2,

Nice to hear all the help you recieved. There are some good guys on this site. I have a question about the top speed of your truck. The red light on my m915a1 would come on around 2100 rpm and my top speed was 55mph. How does your truck reach 64mph? I'm looking to raise the top speed of my truck. I have the Allison HT750-CRD 5 speed automatic, Cummins Big Camm II, and 11r22.5 tires. Does the Big Cam III make the difference, were you rev'ing up the motor above 2100prm? I'm just curious and looking for knowledge.

Last edited:

agazza2

agazza2,

Nice to hear all the help you recieved. There are some good guys on this site. I have a question about the top speed of your truck. The red light on my m915a1 would come on around 2100 rpm and my top speed was 55mph. How does your truck reach 64mph? I'm looking to raise the top speed of my truck. I have the Allison HT750-CRD 5 speed automatic, Cummins Big Camm II, and 11r22.5 tires. Does the Big Cam III make the difference, were you rev'ing up the motor above 2100prm? I'm just curious and looking for knowledge.
I am not sure what the difference are between the Big Cam II and Big Cam III, but I was running about 2200 -2250 Rpms. I read prior these motors are good to run higher than the 2100rpms, up to 2400rpms. I am very careful with my diesels and over-reving. It sounded good, and not over-reved. Other than that, I do not think there is any difference, as I have the same tires and transmission. I would like to get a few more mphs out of the truck though and be able to run 70mph. I thought about trying the 1400 x 20s from my M931 to see what it would feel like.

Seems like there is not as information about the M915s that I would have expected. Still trying to find a good source for parts (Window seals, AC Kits, part numbers, ect) Some of the part numbers I am going to start putting together in an Excel doc to share like there is for the M939 series of trucks. I will just need to get the numbers currently on the parts of my truck to list for future reference.