• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency radiator leak fix needed

M1009 Fiend

Gents,

Please I have a hole about dead canter in the radiator that I need a fix for. Any and all advice is welcome. I have at least a 5-7hrs drive to get home and need something to hold.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What caused the hole?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cut and fold, then use some stop leak, may hold for a bit.

Black pepper works too.

You'll need to do a complete clean and flush later.

A gob of the clay like epoxy might hold for a bit also.

You can buy a new radiator at NAPA or other chain stores.

Run it hot, and you'll need heads too.

jw4x4

The radiator core consists of horizontal tubes running from one side tank to the other. Isolate the leaking tube by doing as NDT advised.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tube = core

jw4x4

You can also use instant mashed potato flakes, or store-bought radiator sealer like Aluma-Seal or Bard's Stop Leak. I have used Bard's with great success and no bad after affects. The kind that comes in a jar and is a blackliquid with pellets. Just be sure to do a THOUROUGH FLUSH afterwards no matter what you end up using.

misupratwin

I have used black pepper before ,and sodium silicate (liquid glass). I have a lot truck that was in a accident and the motor mounts failed and the fan went into the radiator, pulled the radiator out cut the cores (tubes) and jb weld shut then folded over on themselves,No leaks yet, If it had been copper i would have solder it. Tim

gungearz

There's a youtube video and a bunch of info on the net to teach you how to cut the fins from the radiator and bend over the tube tips. I've used jb weld to fix these problems before. It works the best for me on oil pans and radiators. Another old trick is to drop egg whites in the radiator to fix small leaks.