• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

enclosing an M816 operator gondola

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Has anyone ever tried to make a hard enclosure for the m816 crane operator cab? Looking at the gondola itself, the ridges and predrilled holes on the upper edge would lead one to think that there may have been a hard enclosure kit available at one time (sort of like whats on the m819).......

I needed to do some lifting today at the new LZ and found that the wind took off the tarp I had over the gondola resulting in a few inches of slushy snow on it. Needless to say, after getting both cold and wet, I have a renewed interest in enclosing the operator cab.......

Ziggy

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The operator tub is the same as the 819, there is no CAB for the wreckers just for the tractor wreckers (246,819), these cabs should bolt on to the 816/543 tub

I would think that it would make it that much harder to get in and out. I don't use any roof on mine, and mostly don't even bother to get inside to operate. I've found that it is much easier for me to just stand behind the compartment and just reach over to the controls. Of course my lifting is generally in short bursts. I'm actually thinking about how to eliminate the compartment altogether. I know that this isn't keeping with the thinking of keeping things original, but then again, how original is a hard top?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A totally remote control, would be nice.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marinawreckers,

I agree that the cab would leave something to be desired in terms of entrance/egress and operating (I am guilty of reaching over to the controls while standing in front of the gondola as well). However, my biggest issue right now are the unpleasant side effects of keping it outside (IE a wet and cold butt, and snow covered controls, not to mention deteriorating seat covers). Unfortunately, it will have to live outside for some time yet (ask 73m819-- he has seen how full the building is).................

5ton,

would you be willing to sell that cab enclosure?

Or for that matter, is there anyone out there with an enclosed m819 thats willing to sell the enclosure off of it?

Ziggy

Hooty481

i saw gl sell a m936 with a cab enclosure a few weeks ago. it was one of those down at Camp shelby. I would say if you went through the past bid results you could find it. i think the cab enclosure was yellow. dont think it had doors. i'll look and see what i can come up with.

Csm Davis

There are hard and soft enclosures. Soft is what I have but have looked at hardtops before can take a couple pictures later this week if you would like, the soft tops I have are more of a bikini top type, never seen full enclosed soft top which is probably more useful than what I have or hardtop.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are hard and soft enclosures. Soft is what I have but have looked at hardtops before can take a couple pictures later this week if you would like, the soft tops I have are more of a bikini top type, never seen full enclosed soft top which is probably more useful than what I have or hardtop.
The soft bikini top is the om BII item, I have seen very, very few used because of the hassle of putting it up, then taking it down to travel,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't laugh, the 819 Gondola enclosure has duct work for a heater/window defrosters.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Don't laugh, the 819 Gondola enclosure has duct work for a heater.
it is a fuel fired heater that fits on the back of the tub, it is a real small unit, looks like the propane unit what some of the hyd. cranes have.

If I was going to install heat in the 819/246 or a cabed wrecker, I would use the self contained propane setup.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What heater would be used the multi-fuel personnel heater?
No, it worked the same but seemed a lot smaller, the biggest thing about it was the fuel can mount, we had a 246 with a non op. one, being that we took the cab off and in viet nam there was NO need to worry about it, I just remember what it looked like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks