• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

End all powersteering mod

Sephirothq

some years ago, i had a 48 longgggggg wheel base 3 axle mack with arm strong steering, i took the power assest steering off a 65 ford 500 dump truck, this attaches to the tie rod, has a senser valve, made a mount for the pump, after the install, i could turn lock to lock, standing still, with ONE finger

I have 2 sets of this type of steering avilable if anyone is interested. It is the same setup as described above.

I'm coming into this a little late but a hydro assist is about the best way to get powerful steering and still have road feel. I've built many hydro assist systems for offroad and street trucks and this is a very reliable setup. As per the steering box if you have any type of powersteering box powered by fluid you can turn it into a hydro assist box even if it doesn't have the ports or the bosses for the ports. You just need to know where to drill and tap the box at. If anyone has any questions on modding a box hit me up and I'll help ya out.;-)

Adam

Sephirothq

guys,
I just have the parts. I was scrapping a 1962 and 1963 ford fsuper duty 10 wheelers. I just pulled the entire power steering system before I scrapped them. You would need to talk to 73M819 on how he did it.
I just have the parts if someone is interested.

glj

Banned
guys,
I just have the parts. I was scrapping a 1962 and 1963 ford fsuper duty 10 wheelers. I just pulled the entire power steering system before I scrapped them. You would need to talk to 73M819 on how he did it.
I just have the parts if someone is interested.

Your women, I want to buy your women - no, I mean parts. 435-574-3201

Gary:-D

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
You guys are sharp. i learn something new on here every night. I have in fact learned 4 new things in this thread about PS. Thanks to all who took the time to explain this.

graham

i found a electric power steering that came off from a 94-95 toyota mr-2 it has 2000 psi do you think that would work for pump or do you need more pressure?

jesusgatos

full hydro is illegal because there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the wheels.if you blow a hose you have no steering.several months ago i was bidding on a steering set up from a combine it went in the drag link and had a ram that mounts to the axle .looked like the hot ticket since to dont have to mod the frame ,steering colum or steering box yes it puts a ram and hoses under the truck but if the get damaged you still have reg steering.
There's some discussion about the legal-i-tee of full-hydro steering in this thread here.

I have been fortunate enough to locate a M54A2 by sheer accident. The owner was going to scrap it so I asked if I could cabbage parts. I orginally just wanted the hard top and front springs. Then I noticed the power steering set up and decided that i could make that work on my deuce. Pump, resevoir, ram,brackets the whole shooting match. Also got a cooling filter set up and brackets for a rear corner muffler. I am in salvage heaven. Now I just have to make everything fit and work. Thats just half the fun.

tlucca

Banned
Hydro steering for m35a2

What are the specs on this kit? What powers the pump? How much is the kit?:?:

I have not done the reaserch on specs. My cost was free. Here is a pic of the way they orginally had the hydraulic assist ram on the M54. I figured why cant I use the same belt driven pump and reservoir and just clamp the ram to the tie-rod. Anybody ever do that?

Attachments

Howdy all. I sent an earlier post back in Jan but never got any responses. I am about to install hydraulic assist. Has anyone done what I asked in the post before this one? I would appreciate the imput. Many thanks, Griff

Unforgiven

I have not done the reaserch on specs. My cost was free. Here is a pic of the way they orginally had the hydraulic assist ram on the M54. I figured why cant I use the same belt driven pump and reservoir and just clamp the ram to the tie-rod. Anybody ever do that?

I think you mean clamp it to the drag link. That's a neat setup you have. are you going to keep it in the original position? If so you will have to put some high angle double U-joints on the steering column to accommodate the steering box being behind the axle like in the M54.

As far as I know, it doesn't really matter where the hydraulic assist goes. I've seen them (in other vehicles) horizontal attached to the tie rod & differential housing, horizontal attached to tie rod & frame, & sometimes between the steering arm & frame. It's hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like it connects with the drag link & the steering arm. Did you happen to take the arm? Maybe it will bolt to the 2.5 ton Deuce knuckle.

If it were me, I'd keep it like the M54 has & modify the steering column accordingly. 2cents

deathrowdave

I am in the middle of a power assist using a control valve and cylinder from " GARRISON STEERING " . Had to fab a bracket to mount the cylinder to the axle and use 5 ton multi pump. Found all the misc. parts on a Pierce Arrow firetruck . (Hey wait a minute is that a dirty word that begins with F and ends in K !!!) I did not want to wreck the stock box and column . All of the parts are behind the axle . Will send pictures when complete. Have a great and safe day,Dave

I late following up on this but I just got back from vacation. I did not get the steering arm from the M54 and I had to use a hot wrench to get the ps ram out. I just took the reservior, ram and pump. So the question is, how does this work if it is not connected anyway to the steering box? Is it a special ram that can sense a pressure change and then assist as required? Mahalo, Griff

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks