• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ENG-3 to Gen-trailer conversion

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tom, I think I may have a spool of 12 or 14-3 and a reel to put it on. Remind me to bring it along with the heater and those fuel filters.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, some more progress at long last. Over the last day or two, I changed the oil and installed the new spin-on oil filter adapter for this generator. I also re-wired the glow plugs on this set. Some of them weren't making contact with the wires due to the CARC on everything inside the cover. They all metered good, but needed new ends on the wires and the terminals sanded. It starts MUCH easier now.

Also, while at work the last few days I was making new risers and brackets for the cover to bold it to the trailer again. The OEM brackets were mounted to the trailer deck on the one end, and I can re-use those ones. But the front of the trailer they were on the top of the oil tanks. So I needed to make new brackets and weld them to the deck, and then make new risers to attach the OEM framework to the new brackets. Tomorrow morning I'm going to be setting the cover back on the trailer. Everything else I want to do to it I sould be able to do with the cover in place. Nothing left to do except to make a few wiring provisions to make use of the generator.

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the work continues!!!!!

Today, my neighbor came over and we set the cover back on. I finished my new risers and bolted the cover down. Believe it or not, I have enough room inside to open all of the hatches that may need to be opened and work on stuff. I can get to the fuel tank easily, the batteries easily and the control panel is just about prefect. It's almost like I planned it that way...LOL :grin:

That should be the end of the major work for a while. I still have some work to do on the wiring end of things, but it's enough that I can at least bring it to the rallies like it is.

I also buttoned it up today and ran it with the hatches closed (all but the bottom half of the back hatch) to see it it's any quieter. It did quiet down the noise some, not a great deal, but some. I have a few small rattles from the cover. And I'm thinking some day down the road, I'll make a small framework inside and install some rigid foam insulation boards to help insulate the noise some more.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks