• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Advice

ARYankee

I have the opportunity to purchase a used LDS-427-2 engine really cheap. I want it for parts or as a spare. The guy says it was tested out 3 months ago and everything is good. I'm not very mechanical so I am wondering what would I need to do to keep this thing good until one day I need it or the parts off of it.

ARYankee

No can.... It is a pull out. They were going to use it for some other truck. I'm going to try to take a look at it in the next couple of days.

Westech

CPL
you dont see too many 427's around
most were changed out for the 465's
The main problem was head gaskets taking a load.
The 427 did make more power then the 465.
Post a pic and we can tell you if it is really a 427 or just a 465.

kastein

My engine storage prep for gassers:
* cover intake and exhaust ports, distributor, water sensitive sensors if present, carb if present
* clean and degrease
* spray down with WD-40 or other suitable water displacing lube
* remove spark plugs
* spray small amount of WD-40 into each cylinder bore
* turn over by hand using breaker bar several times
* if manifolds are present, store motor
* if manifolds were removed before sale, spray WD-40 into intake and exhaust ports as well (to coat valve stems), scrape manifold gasket surface clean, cover entire surface with blue painters tape then duct tape
* break off outer end of spark plug insulators and reinstall (this reminds me that there is oil in the cylinders and to crank it over then suck out remaining fluid before installing new plugs)

removing from storage:
* remove plugs, tape, covers, etc
* install
* remove spark plugs
* crank over, suck out remaining fluid, etc
* install new spark plugs
* fire it up and expect some funny smoke till the WD-40 burns off!

Of course some of these steps cannot be done for a compression engine. I would pull the injectors instead and hang tags on them to remind myself of the oil present in the cylinders.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pardon my ignorance, but from those 2 photos how did you tell?
The X-large turbo housing (compressor side), plus different exhaust elbow W/ bracket, plus the square, special intake elbow/cold start device are all typical for the original LDS427-2.
Later depot rebuilt versions came with the "normal" C or D turbos and other parts identical to the 465 models.

G.