• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine bearings for M35

jfnemt1ff1

While ever since I drove my deuce home and have put about 1000 miles on it. I think it has a knock at about 2000rpm and stops at 2300rpm :? , The oil looks good no metal flakes I took a hose and it seems like the noise is coming from the oil pan in the back. Iam thinking of droping down the pan and looking at the rod bearings. Is there a aftermarket rod bearings or do you have to get from normal mv dealers. Also do they come in oversize?. Or do you guys think it might be something else. Good oil preasure at all temps and the noise is not getting worse. :?:
John

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have had a knock for a while, which got worse along with the thinning of the oil from the fuel leak (FDC). I now have the oil pan gasket on hand, but would like to record the knock before proceeding.
Ever since becoming acutely aware of the knock, I think it grows louder every time I run the engine, I must be getting paranoid or something.
The FDC is bypassed and the oil changed and the oil pressure drops to about 15 psi at idle from 30-40 at start-up.
Need to find a good recorder....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it would be interesting to place one mike at the front and one at the back, or maybe do a surround sound.. "and here's what it sounds like if you were sitting in the crankcase!!" in any case, a wide dynamic range would be needed.. When I was a kid I made a stethoscope mike out of a copper tube and a radio shack crystal earphone. It was pretty much impossible to overload and would drive the line input on a cassette recorder. How about a laptop set for stereo and the highest sampling rate? would it be good enough?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Patrick, come on over and bring your recording system. :)

Funny, a long time ago I worked for Boeing Co in the acoustics lab and we had every thinkable recordnig device, a lot of Bruel $ Kjer (sp) equipment.

devilman96

Before tearing into the engine make sure you do oil sampling... Many over look this tool and jump the gun tearing into something which may not need it and / or enter into the job blindly.

I can not stress in importance of sampling and maintaining records so that you have a history and a base line in which to work from when it comes to keeping up the PM on your rig.

I sell these kits but I really dont care where you get them from, NAPA, CAT, Wix etc all carry them and for less than 15$ and almost no work you can't beat the insight they give you!!!!

http://odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=16&osCsid=fd6f25ff936dcd11776ce8088c960ae5

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks For the info, The only problem is that it comes in at that RPM, have worked and rebuilt many engines over the years but this is a wierd one.
John