• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine block heater

riderdan

Probably my bad search skills, but I looked and didn't find a thread on this...

With fall almost here and winter on the way, I'm thinking about adding a block heater to the truck so I can start it a little more easily on those cold mornings here in Kansas. The installation seems pretty straight forward and heaters for the GM 6.5 abound, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgable folks here on SS their thoughts. Has anybody done this? Anything important to know before I tackle the project?

NormB

You COULD weld a bolt to it - one that's already through a steering wheel puller, then just pull the thing out.

You - ovbiously - can't DRILL.

Curious how this works out, I've thought of doing the same down the road.

I bought one of those magnetic pan heaters - 100 watts - this past winter and hooked it up to a farm/dairy temp sensing switch (like a miniature extension "plug" with a thermostat in it set for 35F). Worked great, just had to crawl under the truck to pull it off before I drove off, which gets harder by the day as my arthritis limits some of my flexibility.

Stonewall

thanks for sharing. I put a block heater in my deuce, several years back. With the glow plugs I have never had a starting issue, but getting things warm on a cold day is never a bad idea. I may have to add this to my to-do list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks