• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine block heater

riderdan

Probably my bad search skills, but I looked and didn't find a thread on this...

With fall almost here and winter on the way, I'm thinking about adding a block heater to the truck so I can start it a little more easily on those cold mornings here in Kansas. The installation seems pretty straight forward and heaters for the GM 6.5 abound, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgable folks here on SS their thoughts. Has anybody done this? Anything important to know before I tackle the project?

NormB

You COULD weld a bolt to it - one that's already through a steering wheel puller, then just pull the thing out.

You - ovbiously - can't DRILL.

Curious how this works out, I've thought of doing the same down the road.

I bought one of those magnetic pan heaters - 100 watts - this past winter and hooked it up to a farm/dairy temp sensing switch (like a miniature extension "plug" with a thermostat in it set for 35F). Worked great, just had to crawl under the truck to pull it off before I drove off, which gets harder by the day as my arthritis limits some of my flexibility.

Stonewall

thanks for sharing. I put a block heater in my deuce, several years back. With the glow plugs I have never had a starting issue, but getting things warm on a cold day is never a bad idea. I may have to add this to my to-do list.