• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine block heater

There are quite a few threads on this. I have a freeze plug heater and a lower rad heater. It would be impossible to start otherwise where I live.

Zero_cool

:ditto: where im from we get about 2-3 weeks when it hit 65 below zero...
some type of block heater is a must have...I installed a freeze plug heater i purchased from L-n-M supply and it works GREAT...

rnd-motorsports

If you want part numbers I use the kats brand block heaters part number 11612 any parts store should be able to get them or you can get on line they work nice and have a replaceable cord put them in the center freeze plug hole real easy!

idM1028

The CUCV's should have a small fuel heater as part of the fuel filter assembly. Also you might want to look into using something like Diesel 911. Also, giving the go pedal a few pumps before you start it up might help along with keying it until the wait light goes off and then keying it again and then starting it up. From what I've heard, they sell "winterized" diesel in most places where it gets cold during the winter months. If it gets REALLY cold, you can use a mixture of kerosene and diesel when running the truck.

kapnklug

I've got a ZeroStart block heater from NAPA, it was about $30 and works great here in upstate NY. Plug in for about two hours even in sub-zero and starts right up. I installed it in the middle freeze plug of the drivers side, and the cord is the perfect length to run out the grill behind the bridge plate.

Randy

Katz brand freeze plug heater #10612 here. Purchased from a local heavy truck parts house where a friend works. Installed on the center hole, driver's side - works great!

firecontrol86

Get block heater and make sure glow plugs are good and working and will start fine! I plug mine in about 1/2 hour and cycle glow plugs and always starts [thumbzup]
Good glow plugs are a must! Even without a block heater here in north chicago, changed out the glow plugs and never had an issue the past 2 winters. Took it forever to warm up though, heard the block heater helps with that too

Woodsman

I've got a ZeroStart block heater from NAPA, it was about $30 and works great here in upstate NY. Plug in for about two hours even in sub-zero and starts right up. I installed it in the middle freeze plug of the drivers side, and the cord is the perfect length to run out the grill behind the bridge plate.
I found the following part numbers for the heaters: ZeroStart #3100057 (600 Watt) or 3100059 (1000 Watt).

If I copied these correctly, which one did you use?

Thanks!

Dodgeman1941

We have the frost plug one from NAPA, and when we plug it in over night the snow will be melted off the hood, boy I wish did it a year earlier. I have one for our new CUCV so when I change the radiator then I have it in hand to install it when the cooland is out.

Matt65

I have a freeze plug coolant heater in the garage. Not sure if I will ever need it. This past winter the truck started several times in the single digits. Now it's summer and the triple digits are here to stay for a while.

I know of a kit for my car that heated and also circulated the coolant. It would also circulate through the cabin heater core. The engine would stay warmer, along with the interior.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks