• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine block heaters

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The number one thing in starting your multifuel in the cold are fully charged batteries. The engine doesn't have any glow plugs, but uses an intake manifold heating device to help warm things up (the flame heater).
The batteries alone should get you going down to about 10F. A multigrade oil will help too (=easier cranking).
The flame heater consists of a separate fuel pump, which pushes diesel fuel through a nozzle in the intake manifold adapter. A ignitor unit keeps a spark going, which ignites the atomized fuel, which in turn heats up the air.
You must crank the engine when this is used and don't use ether when the flame heater is turned on.

i have a 1500 watt circulating heater on my deuce plug in for 2 hrs and your good to go .its a gas 302 but were talking minus 35 . i have the same thing on my diesel tractors i leave them pluged in overnight if i need to start them . eather works good dont use to much and once it starts at idle maybe just a couple1/4 sec sprays to keep it going .we started skidders and cats like this all the time .only thing i ever saw hurt was a twin cy skidoo that a kid sprayed full of eather .the head went a suprising distance . i use 2 1000 crank 12 volt bateries 880 cold no problems with this set up so far

Last edited:

wdbtchr

One other unit to consider for engine prewarming is an oil pan immersion heater... My Cummins 4BT has a boss on the oil pan that can be removed in order to fit a heater unit. Very similar to a coolant block heater, but for heating the oil in the pan... I can pull the part number out of one of my manuals if anyone wants it...
The only starting aid (heater) that I actually have mounted on the engine right now is a fuel heater that is just before the fuel/water seperator...
I'd be interested in the part #s, my DTC 8606 has a Cummins 4BT in it and it's very cold natured. Where exactly is the boss located on the engine? Maybe have a picture?