• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine blow by

rfischba1

Started a m1008 today that has not ben run in over a year, ran rough and smoked like hell for a while, looked like a lot of blow by smoke coming from the oil filler , then after running the truck it has cleared, no smoke.
Is this normal for a engine that has been sitting a long time?
We had to add new glow plugs to get it started.
Should I do the normal maintanience? oil and filter change?
and see how it runs??

ssgtwright-usmc

If it has been sitting for awhile I would change out the fluids and also change the fluids.
Definately drain the fuel and replace. Diesel tends to gel up if it sits for long periods of time.
You dont want that gel crap getting into the rest of your fuel system since it can clog your injectors and that is not cheap to repair.
This is the main reason why they say drain all fuel out of tank if it is going to sit for awhile.

tlm47201

The smoke out the filler was likely steam, from moisture that condensed in the oil. On my job, we test diesels on dynos, and after a headgasket failure, we change oil and run it at rated for an hour or so to boil the moisture out. I'd certainly change the fluids.

rfischba1

I'ii change the oil and add fresh fuel asap, like I said the smoke has cleared and w/ new glow plugs it starts and runs smooth now. Still have to replace a bent drive shaft, it drives, but too much vibration .
thanks