• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Change Question, Yes Im Serious!

RNP

I know this will sound like some trolling crazy talk but I am seriously asking. I might not ever do it but I may just to be me. I have a 91 M998 with the 6.2L I noticed it puts out 125 Hp or so and 250 Tq which compared to my Ford 6.7 is laughable but it does OK...

So with that said I was wondering about an engine swap not for more power but to keep it about the same but use a much smaller higher output motor which would reduce the sprung weight and possibly deliver similar performance but maybe use less fuel. I am here asking because there are many here who are more knowledgable than I on these sorts of things. I know getting everything to matchup and work together will be difficult to say the least but just go through the thought process with me please.

What If I could secure a good VW 2.0L TDI and drop it in then match it up to a 5 or 6 speed Transmission? That TDI which I have owned a few of over the years is a great little 4 cylinder motor that delivers nearly the same HP and Tq numbers as the 6.2 with half the engine... I know it might look lonely in there but I don't care about that. Is there something as far as the engine that can't handle the load? would it over stress the crank or something like that?

If that doesn't work out One day I might just put in the Ford 6.7L just to say I did it. Love that motor too. but lets stick to the VW for now please.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything is doable with the right amount of determination, know-how, and deep pockets. The challenges with either motor will be the plethora of electronics & sensors.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that. I was planning on picking up a full donor vehicle so I had everything I needed.
Your biggest challenge will be with the transmission. I doubt the VW tranny will do much good with the weight of the HMMWV. Trying to mate a heavier trans with the VW motor and get all the electronics to properly function with all the different assemblies involved will be formidable challenges. But then again, there may be cottage industries that are producing all this stuff & I just am not aware of it....

HASSON1911

my vote a 4bt will drop in pretty easy, with some fab skills a 6bt will work with awesome power gains and reliability, both bullet proof engines!

snowtrac nome

really an Isuzu 4bd would be a good combo too they can be found with gm adaptor plates and will bolt up to a turbo 400 trans they were used in gm badged npr trucks with the turbo 400 trans. the Isuzu is quieter and revs higher than a 4-b. there is however a lot more support out there for the 4-b

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toyota has 3B and 3BT engines that have powered Land Cruiser's of 5500 pounds up to speed of 65 miles an hour. The problem is you would need adapter plates and such to meet the Toyota Diesel into a GM transmission. The 6 cylinder Toyota diesel is also another great option, and it would make up to a Toyota transmission and transfer case that would be stout, but would require changing your axle lengths, which would be a hassle. You might need to use a Toyota pathfinder transmission and transfer case to better align with the Hummer axles.

The Hyundai diesel engines have been put into Jeeps and Dodge products. There used to be a guy even made adapter systems.

Jeep Grand Cherokee has a diesel variant with engines readily available in junkyard's.

I am not a fan of using a VW and Mercedes products, but others might disagree.

I have always found that conversions to Cummins products such as 4 and 6 cylinder units required body lifts and always interfere with the axles without taller springs. Although these are the best engines, they just never fit into trucks that were not initially designed to accept them without a shoehorn and stubborn detremination. It is also a hassle to convert many of these engines that came out of generators into units that will mate up to a transmission.

MHO's. Your mileage may vary.

T

Last edited: