• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine discussion again

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, the consensus is 6bt. My next question is can you have a 6bt and trans without electronics? I am not sure about this. I know you can with the 4bt.
That's why I specified the 47RH. The other Dodge transmissions (47RE, 48RE, 68RE) were electronically controlled.

M1008driver

Cool, thanks for the comments. I will be reading more about the 47RH trans. It still seems if I am never going to tow past 5 ton the 4bt is an easier swap, but I will keep learning. I was reading where one guy occasionally towed 13,000 with his 4bt. All I care about is up to 6,500 lbs.

EDIT- So the 47RH is a heavy-duty 4 speed Dodge trans built to run behind the 6bt and other engines without electronics.

What are your thoughts on an intercooler? Is it needed? It seems not having one saves allot of time, but some recommend having one.

All this goes beyond my base auto hobby shop capability meaning it will cost me more money some day. I really think we could have done the 4bt swap, but not the 6bt ourselves.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you can find a 4BT for less than a 6BT then have at it. But back when I was searching, I found countless 6BT's for way less than a 4BT.

I don't have an intercooler on my samurai with a VW diesel. I sure wish I did. If you plan on putting down any serious power or plan on putting it under a constant load, you should have an intercooler or aftercooler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks