• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine failure, rebuild, with turbo, jakes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The engine I bought unfortunately is not a big cam. So just going to rebuild mine. Using the heads off from the donor engine. If the holes for the oil squirters aren't there. Then I will just drill them out and use the oil squirters from the other block.View attachment 819518View attachment 819519View attachment 819520View attachment 819521View attachment 819522View attachment 819523View attachment 819524View attachment 819525View attachment 819526View attachment 819527

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I've got a big cam for sale if you are interested

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upper bearings are the wear point. What do they look like? If you get new bearings, make sure they don't give you the ones for the non stud/nut rods. The oil hole is offset and you will not oil the piston pin. Ya know, you can take the push tubes out and you will be fine. It will be hard putting the heads on with them in place. Besides, you should check them to make sure they are not filled with oil. Drop them on the ground from about 6 inches high horizontally. They should ring. A thud means it is oil filled, most likely from a loose socket end and roll them on a flat surface to check for a bent one. And if you are doing main bearings, beware, they are not like a normal bearing, no tabs. They use what is called a wedding band. looks like a washer. Upper gets rolled in, wedding band installed and secured with grease then the lower gets snapped in place. Cap is then put on, run up by hand, torqued, tapped to make sure it is seated and the shell didn't drop.....you can tell by the sound, solid GTG, dull "tink" the shell came down, start over. End play and rotation checked, then move along to the next one. Don't take them all down at once. do 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. 7 is the thrust. put those back up then do 4.

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the holes for the oil squirters aren't there. Then I will just drill them out and use the oil squirters from the other block.
Where do the shavings go when drilling for oil squirters? Into a main oil gallery? Can you flush the shavings out or is the oil filter the next stop for them?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the heads off from the donor engine. If the holes for the oil squirters aren't there. Then I will just drill them out and use the oil squirters from the other block.
Using the heads from the donor will work providing there are the correct ones that have the hole drilled in them into the intake port. How do you propose to just drill the holes for the PC nozzles? IIRC, the supply galley isn't even there in the non PC engines, they are targeted also, so it is a precision machining process. Why would you need to change blocks anyway? 855 head gaskets don't touch the deck, only the head for compression sealing. The little bead on the liner seals the compression. Look at the top side of the gasket, if any are blown, the top side will have a dark area where the carbon was pushed out between the head and gasket. Gasket failures were prone at the front and rear of the holes where the gasket was thin, front of #1, rear of #2, etc. Your failure is a dropped valve and running it after the failure. Pretty common, you shut it down fast enough so not too much debris went into 1-2, 5-6.

Iceman3005

Also looking to purchase Injectors with a part number of # 3054233 for the big cam 400. Hopefully they aren't to hot for the 250.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heads will be fine if it is turbo charged, if not, you need to have the hole into the intake. 400 injectors will not work because the cam is different. More lift on the 400, .266 V.S. .176 IIRC. Even if I am wrong on the measurement, the BC is WAY different than the SC, you will have a smoke machine, plungers will not seat in the cups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks