• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Filter by-pass valve modifications

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is something that has been touched on in past threads on spin on filter adapters. This is dealing with the bypass valve that bypasses the oil filters when there is a differential of 15psi caused by dirty filters or whatever. There has been some conjecture that the filters are bypassed even with clean filters at highway RPMs. The goal of course being to make sure the oil is going through the filters unless there is really a reason they should be bypassed. This is the plug located on the filter base below and between the filter cans. It is not easy to remove due to tight clearances, and the fuel lines being in the way.

****THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT BYPASS FILTERS**** I know there has been considerable confusion in past threads between “bypass filters” and “bypass valves”.

As you can see from the pics the bypass valve has three parts. The threaded plug (Which is the same plug as you oil drain plug.), a spring and plunger. The simple way of increasing the PSI needed to activate the bypass valve is to add a shim inside the threaded plug to increase the spring pressure. A simple washer should would just fine for this. The real question is how thick of a shim is needed to increase the spring pressure a reasonable amount. I found some old sockets I hope to machine down to fit on the threaded plug head.

Attachments

JasonS

Is there any quantitative data to support the idea that the oil is bypassing the oil filters at high engine speed? I'd be real hesitant to try to increase the differential pressure. If you shim it up you run the risk of rupturing the oil filter, spreading filter media throughout the engine, and clogging up orifices. Aren't the spin-on filters flow rated far in excess of the oil pump capability?

SasquatchSanta

I'm prepared to do some testing in this area.

Yesterday I ground down a 1-1/8" socket for the purpose of removing the filter by-pass valve plug. Even with the fuel lines in place, I found the plug could be easily removed by using the modified socket with a short extension and a breaker bar.

I'm running builder77's 1970XE inverted filters. As I understand it, the 1970 filters have double the flow capacity of the LDT & LDS engine's 28 GPM oil pump capacity. At 56 GPM (2X28=56), the 1970s also have twice the capacity of the stock canister filters.

To monitor the by-pass valve I'm installing three new mechanical oil pressure gauges. One gauge between the pump and the filters, another gauge immediately after the pump and another gauge at the end of the oil gallery.

My intent is to monitor the oil pressure readings with the stock by-pass valve setting before experimenting.

Any suggestions?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to be very interesting. Does anyone think there is a difference in oil flow at 2400RPM with:

1. load of driving on road

2. no load (neutral)

rustystud

I'm prepared to do some testing in this area.

Yesterday I ground down a 1-1/8" socket for the purpose of removing the filter by-pass valve plug. Even with the fuel lines in place, I found the plug could be easily removed by using the modified socket with a short extension and a breaker bar.

I'm running builder77's 1970XE inverted filters. As I understand it, the 1970 filters have double the flow capacity of the LDT & LDS engine's 28 GPM oil pump capacity. At 56 GPM (2X28=56), the 1970s also have twice the capacity of the stock canister filters.

To monitor the by-pass valve I'm installing three new mechanical oil pressure gauges. One gauge between the pump and the filters, another gauge immediately after the pump and another gauge at the end of the oil gallery.

My intent is to monitor the oil pressure readings with the stock by-pass valve setting before experimenting.

Any suggestions?

Did you ever perform this test ? What where your results ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks