• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine flywheel replacement - M1008

100acre

My ignition was/is bad, it fried my starter which in turn ate some of the teeth on the engine flywheel. I am told it'll just about always go back to that point so I've been having to move the flywheel by torking on the main engine pulley bolt with my Breaker bar and a 24 mm socket, in order for it to start. I am tired of doing this and if I go to sell and it fails to start well...So I need to pull the engine and replace the flywheel. Where can I get one and for how much and what should I expect to pay to have it done? The rear output on the tranfer box is leaking on the transmission too. Should I remove the transmission and then the flywheel, or pull the engine? Should I replace the transmission with an overdrive transmission? and fix the flywheel?

ARGH!!!!!!

What is the best way and most economical?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flexplate part number has been posted several times. It should be available locally and economiclly. Look it up in the -20P and google the part number.

Your description of where your leaking, is not clear to me.

rockspider

The leak on the rear output of the transfer case is pretty easy and inexpensive to fix.
Just pull out the driveshaft and change the oil seal. It's a press fit. Pry the old out with a big screwdriver and grip pliers. Carefully push the new in, wood block and/or soft hammer and a little care. Done.
Can be easily done in the driveway if you are just a little bit inclined in mechanics, but even at the shop it cannot be more than half an hour job.
Hint: if you do it yourself, put a container under the output before pulling the shaft to catch some oil coming out. ;-)

100acre

The leak on the rear output of the transfer case is pretty easy and inexpensive to fix.
Just pull out the driveshaft and change the oil seal. It's a press fit. Pry the old out with a big screwdriver and grip pliers. Carefully push the new in, wood block and/or soft hammer and a little care. Done.
Can be easily done in the driveway if you are just a little bit inclined in mechanics, but even at the shop it cannot be more than half an hour job.
Hint: if you do it yourself, put a container under the output before pulling the shaft to catch some oil coming out. ;-)

the guy I bought it from had already replaced the seal.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flexplate is the automatic transmission version of the flywheel. It is much easier to just unbolt the transmission and move it straight back, replace the wheel and put the transmission back forward. If you have a lift and a trans jack it should take a couple of hours. Working on the ground with a floor jack not much longer but you will probably want to take a couple more breaks. Leave the transfer case attached to the transmission and secure the whole assembly to the jack.

Rick

Matt65

My flexplate will be replaced soon, new part laying in the garage. If I should happen to get to this before you do, I will share pictures. It does not seem difficult. I'm sure it wil be easier than the flywheel on the 6Speed z28 that I changed last.

Attachments

100acre

help pix

My flexplate will be replaced soon, new part laying in the garage. If I should happen to get to this before you do, I will share pictures. It does not seem difficult. I'm sure it wil be easier than the flywheel on the 6Speed z28 that I changed last.
any help thru pix would be greatly appreciated thanks

epartsman

Flywheel/Flexplate is about $55.00 at your local autoparts store. If you are going to keep it this would be a good time to replace the rear main seal if it is leaking. The T/Case seal may require the use of a speedy sleeve or a yoke replacement due to a groove cut into it by the seal depending upon which one you are talking about.

Jersey4x4

NAPA has the flywheel for 35.00 and the trans or engine does not have to come out. You can just unbolt the trans and slide it back about 3 inches and swap it out. I have done a few that way. Also it is a flywheel for an automatic trans or manual, it is still a flywheel. Chrysler products back in the day and marine inboards are the only application for a Flex plate. The correct term is flywheel. I think I have a used good one if you get stuck.

100acre

napa

NAPA has the flywheel for 35.00 and the trans or engine does not have to come out. You can just unbolt the trans and slide it back about 3 inches and swap it out. I have done a few that way. Also it is a flywheel for an automatic trans or manual, it is still a flywheel. Chrysler products back in the day and marine inboards are the only application for a Flex plate. The correct term is flywheel. I think I have a used good one if you get stuck.
any idea what the napa part number is?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow these instructions fron the link posted above.

The way I always did it was to get (4) longer bolts that fit the bell housing.
Remove the (4) lower bell housing bolts install your longer bolts.
Remove Torque converter cover and Starter.
Remove Torque converter to flexplate bolts.
Remove the remaining bell housing bolts.
Disconnect your transmission shift linkage and Transfer case shift linkage.
Disconnect t-case wiring and speedometer cable to prevent damage.
Remove front and rear drive shaft at the transfer case. The rear driveshaft can remain engaged with the transfer case so the fluid doesn't drain out - Just remove it at the rear axle.
Put a floor jack under the cross member - remove cross member bolts. Slide assembly back- Your longer bolts will need to be long enough to allow you to reach up and remove the flexplate to crankshaft bolts. The long bolts keep everything lined up.
Reassemble.
Don't get hurt.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
any idea what the napa part number is?

The easiest way to find a part number (besides asking someone else to do it...:razz:) is to find the GM part number in the parts Tech Manual and then go to the NAPA website www.napaonline.com insert it in the Find a Part box and click the "Interchange" box

The GM part number from the Tech Manual is

Inserting that into the Napa page gives you this:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

I have created a spreadsheet will all the GM part numbers that I have needed and then cross referenced them and have a column for the different Part Houses

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the NAPA site.

Part Number: BK 6005041
Product Line: Balkamp

Attributes: # Flex Plate Teeth : 139
Balance Weighted : Yes
Crankshaft Diameter : 2 1/2"
Flex Plate O.D. : 14.13"
Manufacturer : Anchor Industries
Manufacturer Part Number : FA-69

100acre

The easiest way to find a part number (besides asking someone else to do it...:razz:) is to find the GM part number in the parts Tech Manual and then go to the NAPA website www.napaonline.com insert it in the Find a Part box and click the "Interchange" box

The GM part number from the Tech Manual is

Inserting that into the Napa page gives you this:

NAPA AUTO PARTS

I have created a spreadsheet will all the GM part numbers that I have needed and then cross referenced them and have a column for the different Part Houses
I swear I looked in the 20P manual but could only find a faded picture on fig 46 and 60 with no part description or corresponding number. Maybe my manual is like me missing some pages. But thank you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated.