• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine governor

V8Astro

What limits the engine RPM on an '08? On a downshift my engine RPM has pegged the tach past 4k. Kinda makes me worry...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The throttle pedal is the only governor. Or when the engine comes apart...:p

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you manually downshift?

Keith_J

What limits the engine RPM on an '08? On a downshift my engine RPM has pegged the tach past 4k. Kinda makes me worry...

Injection pump adjustment. When you mash on the go pedal with your right foot, you are compressing a coil spring which increases the force the spring can exert on the other side of the control system, the centrifugal force (centripetal acceleration X mass) opposes the spring force.

The system is designed with considerable droop, that is the drop in engine RPM with increasing load. This prevents hunting, the instability of engine control.

With the droop comes the ability to exceed the speed ceiling. It is all a bunch of partial differential equations which is beyond the scope of this thread :shock:. Plus I'm on beer #3.

My recommendation? Check your throttle vacuum regulator and transmission modulator/governor. It is highly unlikely there is an issue with the injection pump governor.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, it is easy to over speed(exceed governor limit) with kinetic energy. No droop.

trukhead

Injection pump adjustment. When you mash on the go pedal with your right foot, you are compressing a coil spring which increases the force the spring can exert on the other side of the control system, the centrifugal force (centripetal acceleration X mass) opposes the spring force.

The system is designed with considerable droop, that is the drop in engine RPM with increasing load. This prevents hunting, the instability of engine control.

With the droop comes the ability to exceed the speed ceiling. It is all a bunch of partial differential equations which is beyond the scope of this thread :shock:. Plus I'm on beer #3.

My recommendation? Check your throttle vacuum regulator and transmission modulator/governor. It is highly unlikely there is an issue with the injection pump governor.
I wish I'da learned some differential equations, I have a calc book and the solutions manual, maybe I will for giggles.:cool:

I've banned members or PUI.:beer:
What's PUI?:whistle:

o1951

9 beers later and PUI is still a mystery!:whistle:

However, now would be a good time to anwer the original question in easy terms. Engine has a governor, which can control fuel. Properly set, it protects engine from overspeed only when controlling fuel can stop speed increase.

It CANNOT protect the engine from overspeed when the load is powering it! Even shutting off all fuel cannot stop it.

Example -vehicle is going 50 MPH down a grade (80 KPH). OP manages to shift into first gear, which would be a gadzillion engine revs at 50 MPH. As long as drivetrain holds together, engine is forced to overspeed to destruction.

That is kinda what doghead said in post #8.

Last edited:
Posting Under the Influence=PUI hahaha :grd:I have to say this thread was hillarious and the governor i beleive its your foot.I personally dont run my m1008 over 55mph its already kinda screaming.

And i have been told i didnt have a sense of humor.:]

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes indeed, PUI is posting under the influence.

We do not need drunken(or whatever your on) senseless ramblings posted on the site.

This can and will be followed with a loss of posting privileges, banning or worse! :shock:

Last edited:

Skinny

9 beers later and PUI is still a mystery!:whistle:

However, now would be a good time to anwer the original question in easy terms. Engine has a governor, which can control fuel. Properly set, it protects engine from overspeed only when controlling fuel can stop speed increase.

It CANNOT protect the engine from overspeed when the load is powering it! Even shutting off all fuel cannot stop it.

Example -vehicle is going 50 MPH down a grade (80 KPH). OP manages to shift into first gear, which would be a gadzillion engine revs at 50 MPH. As long as drivetrain holds together, engine is forced to overspeed to destruction.

That is kinda what doghead said in post #8.
This is what happens when young kids can't figure out a standard H shift pattern on a six speed transmission. Why does the scan tool show a cam and crank correlation issue at 13,000 rpms??? DOH! Don't let off the clutch pedal unless you know what gear you're in :)

o1951

This is what happens when young kids can't figure out a standard H shift pattern on a six speed transmission. Why does the scan tool show a cam and crank correlation issue at 13,000 rpms??? DOH! Don't let off the clutch pedal unless you know what gear you're in :)
:funny:

:jumpin:ROFL says the old timer who has double clutch shifted 17 speed tractors

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks