• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine heater

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy to announce I just got my first deuce! It's a 1971 A2 W/W, super singles, hyd steering, spin on filters and many other upgrades.

Many new projects such as rebuilding the roll up windows. Replacing windshield seals. Getting a defroster!

I also want to install a 110v block heater. I'm thinking of buying the type that installs in the lower radiator hose. Any thoughts?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your truck! I don't drive mine in the winter, so I don't have any preference to share regarding a block heater.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input. Mine has a lot of upgrades but I'd be interested in knowing more about your hood lift kit and the HMMWV seat. I need to do a lot of little things. Currently have the mirrors off and am replacing hardware and cleaning up the rust. Doors and windows are next but its 45F and raining since I got it and nothing big enough to get the whole truck in so I'm limited until the weather improves. At least dry up some. I like cold. I like rain. But not cold and rain.

V8srfun

These trucks are known to start well even in cold temps. What I am trying to say is you may not need the heater. If you do not need to rely on the truck to start every time I would say it may be worth testing it out this winter and seeing if you really need one or not.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Not sure how it will act but suspect it will start ok. Right now hit the starter and it's almost instantaneous. But also there is less wear the sooner any engine gets to operating temp.
Starting to get cold already and I don't have a shop big enough for the whole truck so will reevaluate next spring.

MG2936

Happy to announce I just got my first deuce! It's a 1971 A2 W/W, super singles, hyd steering, spin on filters and many other upgrades.

Many new projects such as rebuilding the roll up windows. Replacing windshield seals. Getting a defroster!

I also want to install a 110v block heater. I'm thinking of buying the type that installs in the lower radiator hose. Any thoughts?

MG2936

Well...I hate these computers, by mistake you just got the pictures, here is the story. I bought my heater from Tractor Supply. I had to make a simple sheet metal bracket to mount it to the frame. I hooked up the inlet hose to an existing threaded hole in the engine block and the hot water (outlet hose) goes to a existing threaded hole in the inlet manifold. Works great, its been in there 17 years with no problems. The factory manifold heater never worked on my truck so this block heater sure solved the starting problems I was having in cold weather.

MG2936

Attachments

davidb56

Thanks. Not sure how it will act but suspect it will start ok. Right now hit the starter and it's almost instantaneous. But also there is less wear the sooner any engine gets to operating temp.
Starting to get cold already and I don't have a shop big enough for the whole truck so will reevaluate next spring.
I'd stay away from cutting into the lower radiator hose. Its a PITA to get on and off too. I use the small block heater that fits into the 3/4 inch pipe plug at the water pump. I live in northern Idaho, and it has worked fine for me as I drive mine year round.

davidb56

the one MG2936 pictured is widely used on stationary engines everywhere. If I were concerned about extreme cold, I would have paid the extra $$$ and got that type. Where Im at , it doesn't get below -10F but once in a while.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea block heaters can be nice on the starting of any diesel engine. I even had a magnetic oil pan heater to try and keep the oil limber just a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks