• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine help

motorider

I have a new to me 1008 that is not running well. I bought the truck not running because the trans was out of the truck.
First time to start the truck it started up fairly easily, no WD40 needed, but it seems like the truck is not running on all cylinders and smokes black pretty bad. The fuel filter is the stock one but new. While the truck was running I checked the injector line at each injector. I thought it was a bad injector but when I loosened the line up on every injector the motor stumbled. That makes me believe that the motor is getting fuel to every cylinder and thus the lift pump (stock mechanical) and the IP are both working. My next thought is to pull all the injectors and have them bench tested and rebuilt if necessary. The truck will barely idle and I have seen some videos on youtube that show the motor sounding like it has a knock and smoking really bad and they said it was a single injector.
Does this sound like an injector issue, or should I pull the valve covers off and see if something else is going on. Since the smoke is black it appears that the motor is getting fuel, and it is running so it is getting air, but it is clearly not running well.
The previous owner installed new heads. He said that the truck did not run well so he pulled the heads and they were all chewed up from running it with a blown head gasket. He said the cylinder and pistons looked good so he just put new heads on. Could one of the push rods have gotten bent?
Just looking for ideas if I should pull the injectors next or if it is better to pull the valve covers?
Thanks in advance

bigbird1

Black smoke means no air, check for plugged air filter , pull them out and (TEST RUN) the engine and see if it runs better, if not check for turbo not turning, pull off intake hose to turbo and it should spin free by hand with engine off. then next is to run the valves and see if all are set right . let us know what you find.

trukhead

I would try to see if the exhaust manifold has a cold cylinder (cylinder not firing). Is the IP timed correctly? can you crack ( loosen just a bit) each injector line individually while the engine is running slow then maybe a bit faster and notice a change in speed as line is cracked?
Do the injector lines thump instead of flow the fuel? I had a 220 cummins that didn't run well and one of the injector lines thumped. It turned out a push rod for the injector was bent. CUCVs don't have that setup but theory is the same- an injector not passing the fuel.:idea:

bigbird1

I would try to see if the exhaust manifold has a cold cylinder (cylinder not firing). Is the IP timed correctly? can you crack ( loosen just a bit) each injector line individually while the engine is running slow then maybe a bit faster and notice a change in speed as line is cracked?
Do the injector lines thump instead of flow the fuel? I had a 220 cummins that didn't run well and one of the injector lines thumped. It turned out a push rod for the injector was bent. CUCVs don't have that setup but theory is the same- an injector not passing the fuel.:idea:
Trukhead, you do have a point on Incorrect timing, best to check the easy things first like the air cleaner, check the pump bolts for missing paint ,silicone for gaskets, ect. it may tell you if it has been moved any.

wayne pick

I don't think timing is the issue. Aperently the truck ran fine untill the head gasket, or gaskets blew. the fact that the PO ran the truck with a blown head gasket to the point of "chewing up the heads" leads me to beleve the engine hydrolocked, resulting in bent connecting rods, cracked pistons, broken compression rings that are invisible to the naked eye. Any of these conditions can cause black smoke becuase of lower or lost compression. We all know running a diesel engine like this will destroy it in no time. I would compression test it before tearing in to anything. Excessive blow-by is a good indication of cracked pistons or rings. Excessive vibration could be the result of bent rods. I would take the PO's statement that the pistons and cylinders looked fine with caution, aperently, he didn't know enough not to run the engine for any period of time with a blown head gasket.:cookoo: Or the injectors may be dirty, run some Sea Foam through it and see what happens.:whistle:

bigbird1

I don't think timing is the issue. Aperently the truck ran fine untill the head gasket, or gaskets blew. the fact that the PO ran the truck with a blown head gasket to the point of "chewing up the heads" leads me to beleve the engine hydrolocked, resulting in bent connecting rods, cracked pistons, broken compression rings that are invisible to the naked eye. Any of these conditions can cause black smoke becuase of lower or lost compression. We all know running a diesel engine like this will destroy it in no time. I would compression test it before tearing in to anything. Excessive blow-by is a good indication of cracked pistons or rings. Excessive vibration could be the result of bent rods. I would take the PO's statement that the pistons and cylinders looked fine with caution, aperently, he didn't know enough not to run the engine for any period of time with a blown head gasket.:cookoo: Or the injectors may be dirty, run some Sea Foam through it and see what happens.:whistle:
ok, if the drop test was done properly and all cyl showed same miss then the injectors and compression are good, both would have showed up as a bad cyl. so again black smoke is incomplete combustion, so we are still back to plugged air filters or timing . my money is on air cleaners , seen them look good and still cause smoke.

wayne pick

Not necessarily, a bad cyl with lower compression will still fire, with a dirty incomplete combustion as a result and not show any signs of a miss. Checking cyl compression by cutting off the fuel to that cyl is new to me. How can you accurately measure compression this way? All that can be determined by doing this is to see if the cyl is firing at all. As far as the air cleaner goes, that is the first course of action with a black smoke condition, and I had assumed it was checked before anything else. Also, blowing them out with compressed air is a bad move, they are cheap enough, just replace it. That being said, I just made an assesment based on what I read in the original thread. There was no mention of the engine running poorly before the head gasket had blown, only after.

SSG ALBANESE

What does the exhaust smell like? Does it smell sweet (rich) of diesel or is it burning your eyes? This is an indicator of it running rich or to lean.

Next with the engine off take the air filter off check your injection pump (IP). Look at the were the fuel pump bolts to the crank case (three bolts) you will see two scribe marks. One scribe on the IP and one on the crank case. Are they matched up line to line? Line to line is factory set timing.

Are the head gaskets still blown? Check your coolant for oil and your oil for coolant.

If the trans is now installed will it idle when in gear? Does the power steering make noise as if the pump was low on fluid but it is full?

I had a similar thing happen but let's start with these questions (troubleshoot)

Last edited: