• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ENGINE INFORMATION PLEASE

ironhorsethegeneral

As most of you know I just purchased another truck and it runs good but no real problems. My question is have any of you ever seen or heard of a 465 LTD 1C having an RPM redline of 2900? This truck gets off the line like you would not believe but the top end is on the slow side not bad but slow. As my other truck is slow off the line but has a good top speed. The RPM's on this truck is red line at 2600. I know the tach on the other truck (the 67) there is the danger mark on it says starting at 2900. Does any one of you know anything about this engine? It occurred to me that this would have to have a different type of transmission gearing. The rear ends on both trucks have same gear reduction. Is this engine rare or not? Thanks for any input,

houdel

The LD/LDT family of engines (2-1/2 ton) are redlined at 2600 rpm. The LDS (5 ton) series of engines are redlined at 2800 rpm. The engines are the same basic design and many parts are interchangeable, but the LDS engines have some different internal components and oil cooled pistons to handle the higher horsepower (~190 hp) and rpms.

Are both of your trucks 2-1/2 ton or is the old one a 5 ton? It is always possible that somewhere along the line someone put a LDS engine into a Deuce.

CGarbee

Have you actually had the truck up to 2900 rpm??? If so, are you going by the tack on the truck and have you verified that it is acurate?

If you are just going by the sticker placement (ie, you haven't actually ramped it up that high, you've just been looking at the guage...), remember that they sometimes slide (depending on adhesive and solvents when wiping down the guages) and the care taken to instal them correctly might have been lacking...

Of course, if you've got an engine that will turn that fast safely, I'd like to know more about it :) A little more speed can be good at times...

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The LDS-465-1 has a no-load high speed governer setting of 2850-2900rpm. This is not the same as the red-line. The rated power is listed in the LDS troubleshooting manual at 170-185 at 2600rpm. The output chart, and other text from this publication(avail in SS resources, my hard copy,dated June 68' below) are using 2600rpm as max operating range. Not to say Lee is wrong, perhaps his info is from another (later?) source. JimK

Attachments

houdel

jimk said:
Not to say Lee is wrong, perhaps that info is from another(later?) source. JimK
Perhaps I am wrong, I was writing from memory which is not always 100% accurate. Anyone else want to chime in here?

Westech

CPL
I have pushed mine to 3000 RPM before (down hill). she sounds great at that speed. Now I would not keep her there all day but I have ran over 300 miles non stop at 2600-2800 rpm many times. I have seen that "danger" sticker all over the place on that tach, seams it is set to who ever put it there. I would not really go on sticker placement or really even the gauge, I try to keep a "ear open" and listen to what she is doing.. well till my ears start to bleed.

ironhorsethegeneral

If I run it at 2600 I am only doing about 42-45 miles per hour. At the the red line it will do 53 (the tach has not been replace and the glass has not shifted). Governer says about 3400. It easily reves up over to 2900 with no strain. I do not think this engine is a 5 ton. Even though this is a 1C you cn not hear the turbo. As far as I no this is the original engine.

houdel

ironhorsethegeneral said:
Even though this is a 1C you can not hear the turbo.
Same mistake I made at first. A -1C or -1D on the engine plate (as in LDT 465-1C or LDT 465-1D) does NOT refer to the turbo, it refers to the level of engineering change of the engine, generally a specific subset of internal components. Thus a LDT 465-1C or LDT 465-1D could have either a "C" or "D" turbo depending on what was on the shelf (or the engine) when the engine was built or upgraded. I have a LDT 465-1D (looks like a "G", but it is a "D"), but have a "C" turbo.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i hope you have a spare engine, per the manual 2200 rpm is the max reccomended cruising speed. 2300 should give you 55-56 mph. if you need to go faster you need a different trans. at 3000 rpm you couldn't pay me to stand beside the engine..............

I read this post and wanted to give my 2 cents... when i first got my deuce the tach was set for 2850 rpms ( at idle) when I ran the truck down the road it was maxed at 2650 but I was at a top speed of 60 or so.... I was average pulling off the line and had good acceleration, so it worked. I replaced the injection pump with a nos pump and when it was set up on the truck, it had some power !!! The truck had super fast acceleration all thru the ranges, and had black smoke.. the tach still read 2600 rpms, and she would do 60 + just got there faster. I found that some pumps have a different reaction time to your foot, you mash the petal down and some take off, and some wait a second or two and then go.... I agree that using the tach is a good guide, but like west said, i use my ears to run. I would check your tranny and see if you have a direct drive , or see if the pump is set up for "base" driving instead of field driving...ie base was set for 45 mph max..... Again just my 2 cents...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Even though I have had the truck for almost a year, this is the first time I have noticed this.....the tach has 2 danger stickers......the first one looks to be at a higher rpm than the second.....

Perhaps the tach came out of a 5-ton with an LDS......

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, how can 2300RPM give you 55MPH? Not even with 11.00x20's. look at the pic. above, 52.5 MPH at 2375 RPM. Mine runs about the same.
55 MPH might be had in the vicinity of 2490 RPM. It's 0.022RPM/MPH or so on a deuce. If you have a low-RPM speed secret... please help us out here. You know we need all the help we can get! :)

You did put a different transmission in your fast truck. Did you have to move the engine forward BTW for that? I'm thinking about a transmission swap or adding an OD behind the transfer case for the rears only, since I'm alreay almost 13FT and can't take the extra height of the big 395 singles/tires.

houdel

I stand corrected (somewhat): Per TM 9-2320-211-10, Operators Manual for 5 ton series trucks, page 2-45, the max operation speed for a LDS 465-1 engine is 2600 RPM, for a LDS 465-2 engine max is 2800 RPM. So I guess I was half right.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Clinto, one possible answer?

I just added a danger sticker. With great care I put it 100rpm too high. Worse, the view from the driver seat seemed to add another 100rpm. Moving it and messed up the end so I placed it low then trimed end, from seat, for 2600. JimK

Westech

CPL
Tom where on earth are you getting your info? Could you post a pic or scan the T.M. you get 2300 RPM from? I would like to know if everyone here is doing something wrong by crusing at 2600-2800 RPM.

and on another note... 74 MPH? That with a gas motor and a over drive trans?