• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine machine shop in SoCal?

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 6.2L in my 1009 that is running, but has low oil pressure (25psi cold idle/45psi cold at 2500 rpm, 5-ish psi hot idle 30 psi hot at 2000 RPM), what seems to be a slow oil leak from the rear main, low power, and just seems generally tired. I've been running the truck like this for going on 5 years and at least 30k miles and have not seen any metal in the oil or other ill effects from the low pressure, but it doesn't seem great. I have a full turbo setup off a 6.5L along with a rebuilt IP and injectors that have been sitting in my shop for years, but I'm afraid to install them on what is probably a worn out engine and would like a shop to go through it before doing the turbo.

I'd like the oil pressure fixed which I assume new bearings will do (maybe a crank or cam if they measure out of tolerance, but hopefully not), and I'd like the heads and block checked for cracks. And new head gaskets and ARP studs. Anybody care to guess what a fair price for a rebuild would be, or recommend an engine machine shop in southern California? Or have any general guidance on my plan?

I could do everything except the block/head inspections myself, but realistically I just don't have time. If I can drop off the long block and get it back in a couple weeks, I should be able to put it back in the truck over a long weekend. If I try to do the whole rebuild myself its going to take a month of weekends or more and I don't want the truck down that long, and more importantly it will delay progress on a bunch of other cars I need to work on...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the gauge isn't incorrect? Install a known good mechanical or Fluke pressure transducer and compare the dash to a master gauge.

Remember, you have a dinosaur, it might be hard to find someone, but, try United Diesel in So. El Monte.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't doubt that the motor is tired and worth a rebuild anyways prior to the turbo project but as WillWagner mentioned it may be worth checking oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to verify. My Autometer oil pressure gauge is surprisingly inaccurate. I've swapped the sender already and plan on changing the gauge too but it can be off by a lot. It can show 10-15 psi on a warm idle, but a mechanical gauge will show 30psi. And this is all on a brand new motor.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure the gauge isn't incorrect? Install a known good mechanical or Fluke pressure transducer and compare the dash to a master gauge.

Remember, you have a dinosaur, it might be hard to find someone, but, try United Diesel in So. El Monte.
The dash gauge is mechanical, and it agrees +/- 1 psi with another mechanical gauge. The other one is fairly cheap, probably harbor freight, but either both gauges are right or they're both wrong in exactly the same way. Definitely a good suggestion though, and one of the first things I did.

I'll check out united diesel, thanks for the recommendation

These guys are well rated. I almost had them do the engine in my Avalanche but ended up finding a crate motor available to put in right away. Had some good conversations with them though and they seem pretty reputable. https://www.machinetechracing.com/
Appreciate the suggestion, thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks