• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine manufacture?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The conversation went like this
ME I want to buy patrts for my M35A2 engine please
PARTS MAN What make engine?
ME, I knew youd ask that, but the nameplate is worn, all I can make out are stamped numbers
TRUCK SALESMAN you have either a white, herculies, or continental engine, and they are all the same!

ME So what do I do now when the parts man askes me? Will the stamped numbers tell me anything?:confused:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What parts man are you asking for parts? Call a surplus vendor like Memphis and they don't care as all the engines are the same. That is assuming it isn't a gasser or 427 diesel

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post the stamped numbers. It will tell us what engine you have.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, and it was a Memphis parts man who asked me. I have also found out the engine number from the seller, its a :pLD-465-1C . I will get the stamped number tomorrow. Than k You

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than likely the parts man was wanting to know the model number instead of the manufacturer. You should be able to call him back and tell him you've got a LD-465-1C and be good. If he was a good parts man you should be able to just tell him it's a non-turbo multifuel and he would know what the model number is.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides the Number issue, Isn't the manufacture of the engines, White? They were building engines for tractors, long before they won a contract to build engines for the military.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello rosco, And the dealer who sold me this truck says that there are three engine manufacturers, White, and also Herculies and Continental. I think I shall take my magnifying glass and look at the tag again, maybe Ill see some more...;-)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who made it does not really matter - all the parts interchange. What you need to really know is if the block has a casting in it that says "TD", which stands for Thick Deck, the more modern version. As long as it's an LD-465, it can be a turbo or non-turbo, or with a whole bunch of slightly different parts, an LDS (super turbo) engine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it's an LD-465, it can be a turbo or non-turbo, or with a whole bunch of slightly different parts, an LDS (super turbo) engine.
If it's a LD it should be a non turbo unless someone added one. Is it was origionally a turbo it would be a LDT. All you should need to order parts is the engine designation. The manufacturers are all the same, and I can't think of any differences in parts for a TD block (if you are doing head gaskets they should give you the new ones regardless).

LDS are either LDS-427 or LDS-465. The 427 are early motors that are pretty rare. The LDS-465's are from 5-tons.

There is also (I believe) a 210 HP multi from the Ford 8x8's that has alot of specific parts to it but does bolt into a deuce also.

Checkmate

Hercules

Just going to share a little bit of information that I found out by using Google.

Hercules is still in existence. They are more a sales company for Perkins Diesels, but I looked through their site and found... the attached picture.

Also I read the fine print of this page :Hercules Military Engines
Which basically says that Hercules actually wants you to call them if you are really into a project with these engines and want engineering assistance.

The main point of posting this is that Hercules also sells remanufactured/new (from what I can tell) parts for Non-turbo, Turbo, and Super-Turbo Mutli-fuel engines. But knowing this and having a big enough wallet to pay for the reman/new parts are 2 different things.

I do not have any MV experience, but enough typing and staring stupidly at a glowing screen can get some useful information on just about anything.

Attachments

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello hndrsonj, And I was looking for injector lines. I have already purchased them from Memphis Equipment, and I may need an injector pump for my M109...( I hope not)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Injector lines should be the same for all the multifuel engines. The engines that were put in a deuce are as follows-
1) gas engine (M35)
2) LD-465, multifuel engine without turbo (M35A2)
3)LDS-427, early multifuel with turbo (M35A1)
4)LDT-465, late multifuel with turbo (M35A2)
5)LDS-465, multifuel with turbo ( this engine was actually designed for the 5-ton but can be found in a deuce from time to time)

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now! I see I do not have an M35A2 afterall, because my truck does not have the turbo. So I have an M35A1 ! Thank you for that clarification. By the way, I have already purchased a NOS turbo, and a kit to complete the turbo installation...Just love that whisteling :carnac:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks