• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine mount replacement

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've noticed more vibration at idle than normal, and upon further inspection discovered the rubber portion of my engine mounts are cracked ~75% of the way through. Manual says to send it to motorpool at 50%. Has anyone done the change on these before? If so, how difficult? I would be doing it in my driveway.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've replaced the engine before. The issues I had were finding an engine lift strong enough for the weight, or tall enough for how high it needed to go. I rented one from a local heavy equipment rental place that barely did it, and we had to put it up on cinder blocks and 2x12's to get the height needed. After that, just lift the engine up some and replace the mount... I don't think it should be too hard.

(You may not need the height to just lift it enough for the mount change. The problem I had was to clear the frame/tires.)
20170619_174425.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM shows lifting the engine to take the weight off the mounts and enough to get to the fasteners but doesn't require disconnecting anything else at all which means the engine isn't moving very far.

It does caution that the engine weighs 1500 lbs so plan accordingly. A gantry setup and a chain hoist would be more than sufficient or even a stout A-frame made from 4x4's, etc. BE CAREFUL. Make sure you have an assistant and keep your fingers etc out of pinch points. Hoist the engine and then get some blocks under it etc in case your hoisting apparatus decides to fail you.

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for all of the replies. General, do you know the page of the TM? I can't seem to find it. I was looking at possible using jacks and some cribbing to get everything in position. Thats a big engine crane! If all else fails the part of the world I live in has tons of giant oak trees, so I can always sling a winch to one to lift from the top if needed. The nice thing about living in Memphis is Memphis Equipment is here and parts are just a short drive away. They had brand new mounts still in their seals.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The electronic manuals don't have page numbers. I just searched for "engine mount" and the applicable section came up under Maintenance Instructions -> Field-Maintenance Instructions -> Engine Maintenance Work Packages -> ENGINE FRONT RESILIENT MOUNT AND MOUNTING BRACKET REPLACEMENT

But there's really nothing to it other than a small picture of the the front lifting eye with the hook of a "suitable lifting device" shown and a chain disappearing into the ether. All the usual blah-blah about eye prophylactics and having an assistant to call your mommy when you get an owie or the waahmbulance if you sever a limb. Nothing of note. Lift engine, remove mounts, replace mounts, lower engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks