• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine noise level?

Sajer

Ok, so i test drove three m1009's this weekend and it was my first expereince with driving one. Out of the three i drove one was slightly quieter than the other two. Granted it was 14 degrees out, but i could hear the difference along with the person i brought with me.

So having little first hand experince with the 6.2, are they that loud? Was the comment a washing machine full of hammers correct in describing them? They were all pretty loud, but not overly. The mileage ranged from 50k to 90k on them.

thanks

ralbelt

Yes they are noisey, although mine did become noticibly quiter after I had the heads redone and installed an intake manifold from the 6.2 Hmm. Also how far and long did you run them. At 14 degrees it would probably take about a half hour of running to come up to a decent temp, and the warmer the engine the better the combustion and the quieter it is. .2cents

91W350

I think some of them are timed higher than others and they rattle a lot harder. I am on my 5th 6.2 and one of my M1009s is by far louder than the rest of the trucks are. My first M1008 was also very loud. It was the one I put the most miles on and would probably still be driving had it not been totalled. My current M1008 could pass for a gas engine once it get warmed up and the latest M1009 is quiet as well. Quiet enough that the starter turning it over is louder than the engine when it starts. I have also noticed that if you have an air leak in the system, they really rattle when the bubbles are passing through. Did the person selling them have them started prior to your arrival? If everything else is equal, I would take the one that starts easiest cold. Glen

Sajer

All three had not been run prior to me getting there from what i could see. I ran them down the street a bit and got them up to 50 to 60 mph after about 10 to 15 min of idle and running around. The one that was the quietest he had started for me before i got back so i have no idea how hard that one was to start.

The other two started right up and i let them idle for about 5 to 10 min. prior to running them down the road.

None of them sounded bad to my untrained ears, no knocks no thumps , just a bit louder is all. Trannies all shifted well also even with the cold.

After driving the quieter one of the bunch i then tried to restart it and , nothing. Would just click. I thought i remember a thread on issues related to a guys cucv not restarting and having to wait until the engine cooled?

Also, the switches for th eblack out lights and op lights were missing? Is that an issue?

I have a few more questions i will post in a few.

p3amea6

My M1008 thashes and bangs but as it warm up it does seam to get less loud . But I spent 20 + years in Naval Air
so I ware hearing aids that reduce noise. :beer: The VA say I am deff.

4bogginchevys

The truck that would not restart should have been cheap.....they probably couldn't find someone to fix it because of the odd CUCV things about it (24V..etc.), probably a good buy and an easy fix with info from this site. I really dont like that the blackout switches were gone, thats the only deal breaker in my book2cents

91W350

My M1009 is very loud, loud enough that the GL rep asked me if it was supposed to sound like that. Loud enough that guys on the street turn to look when it is running cold. My buddy with the Unimog stands there an winces when I start it. It is much better when warmed up a little, but it is much louder warm than the rest are cold. It does not use oil and runs great. I kind of like it because it is so unusual. My youngest son does not like it at all. Glen

gwag

I'm not sure if you are talking about the rattles or overall noise but I had a 1008 last fall that was just loud. The wing nuts on the air cleaner were stripped out I replaced them and it was quieter with the air cleaner lid snugged down tight.

Cucvnut

My truck is quite on the engine side but on the exhaust side its loud. with out noise reduction in the cab and new exhuast makes it worse. and the harmonices from the exhaust suck

41cl8m5

The lack of real insulation in the M1009 ampifies the noise level inside. its like being inside a drum that is being used. Yes when cold its loud outside but with the interier harmonics it is louder for the occupants. By the way the gov removed the foor mats before I got mine and according to some here that will make the noise worse. The mat helped (a little) with the noise but not much. I drove M1009, M1028 and M1008 while I was in the army and mine is louder. Just my thoughts

CutBeef

Im now on my second blazer. She runs very well and starts good when its cold. It burns clean and leaks nothing. One thing that has me a bit worried is a rattle from the engine...or around the engine. To me it sounds like a sheet metal rattle. What could it be? Any help?

TyJustice

Im now on my second blazer. She runs very well and starts good when its cold. It burns clean and leaks nothing. One thing that has me a bit worried is a rattle from the engine...or around the engine. To me it sounds like a sheet metal rattle. What could it be? Any help?

I had a similar rattle in my M1009 and it took me some time to track it down!

Seriously, it was the plastic knob on the passenger side seat actuator for leg adjustment. At first it was so loud; I thought I had lost a motor mount.

I just put a little duck tape on it. :lol:

pwrwagonfire

They are rather noisy at certain speeds...but then again so are most diesels!

One thing to check, is did you have the floor vents open? I've found closing those cuts down the noise...not much, but a tiny bit.

dependable

If the timing advance and throttle are still kicked up in warm up phase, the 6.2 rattles. Time of warm up depends on temp, but should not be over 5 mins unless very cold. A bad thermostat or temp sensor can extend warm up setting almost indefinatly if it is cold out.

91W350

I had my son fire up two of my three today while I shot some video. I just had him back out into the street, then pull back into the driveway. The M1009 is the loudest engine of any CUCV I have been around, this particular M1008 is at the other end of the scale, the quietest cold 6.2 I have been around. Both of these engines fired right up at 14 below with no added heat. I just thought the original poster might like to hear them. It was in the 60s here today, but the comparison is still there, whether my camera captured it clearly enough is another question. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWB3wrfyss[/media]

Midnight Rider

It could be the starter support bracket. Mine came loose and was bouncing around like crazy. You might want to check that.

My passenger seat makes quite the noise when no one is in it. As does the stuff in the ashtray. I also had a screw come undo underneath the steering column by the dash that made a nice rattle.