• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine not warming up, need help!

cruzinz28

Since I purchased my truck I have never seen it get past 140 degrees. I have the winter grill cover installed as we speak and on a 42 degree day it takes roughly 30 minutes of warming up and a brief trip down the road to peak out at 130-140 degrees.

I'm thinking I might have a thermostat that is stuck open??? Even when I purchased the truck this summer on a 90 degree day it hardly ever got all the way up to 140 when driving it.

I read on her as well that if the personel heater located on the drivers side fender is hooked up wrong, the truck may have trouble warming up and maintaing proper operating temperature. Is this true and can anyoen supply pictures of where the two hoses from the heater are supposed to be hooked up on the motor.

Thanks for the help! Jesse

citizensoldier

A couple things to check.. There are two different sending units and two different temp guages.. Make sure you have the correct match or you will get a wrong reading.. maybe check engine temp with lazer thermometer..
It does sound like you might have a stuck thermostat.. Multis are cold blooded suckers.. The almost never run up to or over 180 unless the pump is turned up. Just some suggestions.
As for the heater ? Cant you shut the valve so it does not flow through the core to see if it helps?

Wolf.Dose

All this sounds to me as a bad thermostat or a missing one. Normally the reading with a working thermostat should be between 180 and 200 F. Even in November the engine should get to the said temperature. So it is not an engine problem, it is a cooling problem, here I think a thermostate problem. Sometimes the Army took out the thermostate due to cooling problems and they did not fix a new one, I have seen this ower many years not depending on the Army (French, German, American). Sometimes this problem is based on the filling of the cooling system with pure antyfreese, so the thermostate does nor work properly any more and so was taken out once.
Wolf from Germany

SasquatchSanta

When the weather turns cool Multis tend to run cool unless you are working them. Before I installed an enectric fan and got rid of the water pump fan I had trouble getting my deuce up to 180 even with a winterfront. There wasn't anything wrong with my thermostat.

As citizensoldier said: "Multis are cold blooded suckers"