• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil cooler

cucvrus

I have a M1028 truck on my lot that the owner had towed here and wants me to put an exterior engine oil cooler /transmission cooler on it. He has it all disconnected and the parts are in the bed. I was wondering what size the fittings were that went into the block , off the rubber lines and going into the radiator. I think it is a waste of time but I can not seem to talk him out of this idea. Anyone hear of anyone doing this? And do you know the sizes. And what difference will it make for a truck that does not get used very hard at all? I would like to set the job a drift and move onto something else that makes more sense. He wants to bypass both the transmission and the engine oil from the radiator and put 2 more coolers in front of the radiator. I think it is not worth the effort. But does anyone know the correct sizes of the fittings? No one seems to have anything to fit it when I call.

rsh4364

For oil cooler,3/8 NPT to 10an line,then B&M 70266 with 1/2 NPT to 10AN.Plug ports on radiator.I will have to dig into my notes for sizes for trans.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have a M1028 truck on my lot that the owner had towed here and wants me to put an exterior engine oil cooler /transmission cooler on it. He has it all disconnected and the parts are in the bed. I was wondering what size the fittings were that went into the block , off the rubber lines and going into the radiator. I think it is a waste of time but I can not seem to talk him out of this idea. Anyone hear of anyone doing this? And do you know the sizes. And what difference will it make for a truck that does not get used very hard at all? I would like to set the job a drift and move onto something else that makes more sense. He wants to bypass both the transmission and the engine oil from the radiator and put 2 more coolers in front of the radiator. I think it is not worth the effort. But does anyone know the correct sizes of the fittings? No one seems to have anything to fit it when I call.
I did this on my 1984 Chevy 1 ton dually. I then used the radiator oil cooler to cool the power steering. It works great. I used 6AN fittings on the transmission and PTFE stainless hose to the oil cooler. Same with the engine. If you want I can take pictures of it tomorrow.

THEBRICK

An easy route for the engine oil cooler would be to order a Heath Blue Ribbon oil cooler for a 6.5l and make mounts on the core support. They send all there kits with both style fittings for 6.2/Early 6.5 and older 6.5. As far a a trans cooler, I have a 1008 for a plow truck and i mounted a B&M Super cooler on the passenger side of the core support. I cut the return line before it goes against the engine oil pan, got a 45 flare 5/16 to -6SAE adapter and put it in the upper radiator fitting. i flared the cut line to 37 for a -5JIC then to a -5JIC to -6JIC. I then had lines made to connect to the cooler. if you are interested i can post pics to aid you.