• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine parts. Worth it?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, question for the more experienced ones. I am done stripping the valuable parts of the engine (alternator, steering pump, IP, starter......) i got to the point of removing the pistons and crank shaft, is it worth it to remove and save for a future non running project? Remember, 1 tie rod is bent. This engine had only 7 miles from rebuilt. Opinions? What would you do if it were you?

Attachments

Hummer Guy

Hey guys, question for the more experienced ones. I am done stripping the valuable parts of the engine (alternator, steering pump, IP, starter......) i got to the point of removing the pistons and crank shaft, is it worth it to remove and save for a future non running project? Remember, 1 tie rod is bent. This engine had only 7 miles from rebuilt. Opinions? What would you do if it were you?
Just saying, if it was me, I'll take every possible thing off of it, you never know what you may need in the future

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to say.
If you have plenty of storage space for chunks of metal you'll likely never need, then yeah, it's worth it. I still have an Olds 455 block sitting out in the garage from a high school project decades ago.

on the other hand, it's very unlikely that you will ever need to use the pistons or crankshaft.
Usually if the pistons and/or crankshaft failed, the block is also damaged, and buying a used or rebuilt engine is a lot more cost effective than fixing everything wrong at that point.

I'm leaning towards "not worth the effort or space" if it was my decision.

Hummer Guy

Hard to say.
If you have plenty of storage space for chunks of metal you'll likely never need, then yeah, it's worth it. I still have an Olds 455 block sitting out in the garage from a high school project decades ago.

on the other hand, it's very unlikely that you will ever need to use the pistons or crankshaft.
Usually if the pistons and/or crankshaft failed, the block is also damaged, and buying a used or rebuilt engine is a lot more cost effective than fixing everything wrong at that point.

I'm leaning towards "not worth the effort or space" if it was my decision.
That's smart thinking, I wish I was like that, I'll try to get everything off of it but that also explains why my space is going low and I need to get rid of some of my junk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks