• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Prelube Info....

Flatlander

Bjorn,
I whole heartedly agree, the tinkering is just one of the many reasons that WE play around with these critters. When one starts getting into the lifeblood of the very machines we are trying to improve, care must be taken if one does not want to turn a running engine in to a yard ornament that the wife would not appreciate. Sure you can get a new engine for a couple a hundred bucks, now ship it and to your location and then the fun installing comes next.. I have been involved in the hobby since the late '80s, and mechanicing and fabricating even longer, and the thought of creating a preluber that would work properly, not potentially fail with disasterous consequences is not impossible, but would require much more resources and time than I want to commit, when a commercial unit is available. The military also uses this approach for many of its needs. The Preluber unit has the pump and control module that will allow post shutdown turbo lubrication. It makes my ears sore to listen to my turbo spin down after shutdown. This turbo came from a LDS, I installed it on my LD465, retarded the injection pump timing, voila the turbo noise and performance, this is the type of mod that I prefer. The only difference between the various LD series engine blocks is the LDS has piston oil cooling jets for the increased heat input. This comes from the research phase of the project. The research phase of the preluber project told me "you dont wanna take that chance, the cost for failure is too great" My issue is from this kind of input: "Would it be possible to use a 24v starter motor attached to a power steering pump? The motor could also serve as a spare in a pinch...I don't know what a power steering pump flows, but I'm thinking a coupler like the one used on the Oasis off-road air compressor could work." I guess this is why I stopped reading the original MilVeh list.
eric
Otter, that was my comment about the starter motor, and I was just throwing it out there. The really nice thing about this site is that we can think aloud and voice our opinions without worrying about negative comments from the users like Bjorn and David who really know what they are talking about. Promote whatever you want...I'll build my own.

Flatlander

RE: pump

Of course, I stopped to look at these and left my camera at home!

I'll drive back out and take some pics by Monday, I promise.

If these look like they'll work, we can get enough people, I think, to get the lower price....

Of course, this might offend some who don't agree with "cobbling" things together... :roll:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I am interested. I found some 24vdc motors, but have not selected a pump yet. Then would come lots of machining to couple them. Any idea what type of pump it is? Gear? Gear pumps seam to be the pump of choice for hot oils. I would be looking for pre and post lubrication.

I like the idea of the pallet jack pump, but I have never seen used pallet jacks in any of the junkyards. I am not a stranger to junkyards and auctions either.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Problem with the air powered pump is you would have to run the engine to build up the pressure to run the pump- takes away from its prelube job. You could most definitly use it as a cool down pump. Problem with most air pumps also is they are pulse, not steady pumping like a gear pump. But spurts of oil are better than no oil!

SandMan

if you had an additional air tank that you could charge and isolate so the pressure wouldn't bleed off, you could run it something like this sort of preluber
http://www.autoenginelube.com/
and air tanks are pretty easy, so I'm sure you could rig one up large enough for pre and postlube

alphadeltaromeo

"Sand

MA, USA

I had a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser that I drove (literally) everywhere until my sister cracked the engine block. Don't ask. I had a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I drove almost everywhere until bits and pieces started rusting off at 30,000 miles, and then the clutch exploded. Now I'm in the market for a Deuce, so let me know if you got one for sale."

So what happened to the engine block??

SandMan

alphadeltaromeo said:
So what happened to the engine block??
heh. she hit a New England granite curb (about 10 inches high) full on at 45 mph. destroyed the steering box among many other things. it actually ran for about a year after that before it started burning coolant and finally got hydrolocked and declared dead.

Flatlander

The pumps look remarkably like the ones devilman is developing. I'm sure his are better...
They look to be gear drive.
The surplus yard is called McDonald's trading post in Plainview, Texas. I live in Lubbock, but will head up that way on Monday to take some pictures.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Accumulator w/mods. The remote air tank is some tubing w/soft plugs welded in ends, exhaust clamps, air line... which boosts capacity to 3.75qts. The 2 gauges monitor diff. press after piston reaches end of stroke. It holds press fine. The static pressure changes +/-5psi with ambient air temp fluctuations due to expansion of air inside. Only the bottom edge can be seen from drivers seat. Mounting under seat (tunnel) was another location considered. Maybe move under floor( w/extension, or cable, for lever) later. Could be a useful weapon (tested). Accidentally shot truck w/charged device while on workbench. JimK

Attachments

Flatlander

Preluber pics

Okay, I took some pictures and this is what we're looking at...

The owner of the place told me that he fitted the pumps with standard size fittings so that regular pipe could be used. He also painted them and put a base mount on them. He was selling them to the oilfield workers to use as fuel transfer pumps. The inlet fitting is made of aluminum, and the outlet fitting is pvc. He said the thread size on the pump is odd and we might have trouble finding the correct fittings for it. Do you guys know how to figure that part of the problem out?

Positives:

Low cost, 24volt, WWII aircraft pumps, Cool...

Negatives:

Parts? Fittings? Reliability?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks