• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine problems..need help please!

Powerstroke94

Alright guys, long story short I got water in the engine and I've been trying to get this thing to run right ever since. I've put a good, used turbo on it since the old one grenaded, all new injectors, put new headgaskets on it, had the heads checked and cleaned, and last weekend I put a brand new injection pump on it. Before I put the new pump on it it wouldn't idle and number 3 and i think number 6 wouldn't light off. Well with the new pump on it will idle but only at about 650 rpms. And it won't start without a little shot of either. It'll start without it after it has ran a bit. I can crack every injector line but number 3 and it will almost and sometimes will kill the engine...but when I crack number 3 it has no affect on the engine. The engine is slow to rev up and you can tell its only running on 5 cylinders. It white smokes quite a bit which Im guessing is from the excess fuel from number 3 not running. So what do yall think it could be? Fuel pump, valves to tight or loose? Im stumped. I need help with this badly. I appreciate any and all help.

-Barron

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The compression is kinda important. Might need to borrow a gauge and check that. Considering all that you have done, I'd suspect low compression. One easy double check would be to recheck valve lash on that cylinder. Tight valves cause a loss of compression.

Powerstroke94

I'll see if I can't find one to borrow. Do I need any special adaptor? And I was going to check the lash but I ran out of time sunday. I'll have to check it this weekend. If number 3 was running do you think it would idle higher and rev up faster?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure on adapters, depends on the gauge. Might could make one from an old injector. If #3 isn't firing it will effect idle a bit. Remember, idle can be adjusted and it should be. When a multifuel idles below 800 it will rattle the headlights out of the buckets. I always adjusted mine up to 850 to smooth them out a bit.

TMNT

Since your motor ingested some water, I would be concerned about a bent rod causing low compression on #3. Also, as already suggested, valve lash or a bent/broken valve could be an issue.

In any event, water = bad.

If the other cylinders are running, your IP timing is correct, and you have fuel at the injectors, you've kind of got it narrowed down to either a bad injector or low compression.

GFB

Exactly how much water did it eat? Any knocks or odd sounds? How long did it run with water inhibiting combustion ?

Diecorpse

I'm wondering if you killed it by intaking water, that would create a lot of stress on on all the cylinders including, pistons, connecting rods, crank, piston rings, and the valves. If you rebuilt the top half, did you che k your connecting rods, bearings, crank, sleeves, or the pistons for any damage? Depending on the amount of wear on the truck will depend on your valve lash. The more wear on the valves and cam you will have to stay on the lower end of the lash listed by the tech manual. Also if you have a take out ip, is it set right? I would check all push rods, check valves and lashes, and make sure your turbo is working properly. If non of this works and your compression test doesn't signify a problem, then I would tear it down completely to see if any major componets didn't get damaged. I hope you just have an easy fix and I wish you luck to getting your truck running great again. Also white smoke usual signifies the burning of water or coolant, gray or black is normal colors of fuel burning.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably, you have all the bases covered, you just missed a clue somewhere. Since you did the head gaskets, I imagine that you checked the push rods for straight. Check the lash again. That is easy. Sometimes its good to do it while its running. Especially on number three.

Diecorpse

I know when I had to rebuild my motor (same as yours) I had to readjust some of the valve lashes. It's amazing to see how just a couple thousandths of an inch makes a huge difference. Sometimes it can take a while but it's easy compared to tearing it down.