• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine question...*turbo install comming*

slickm1008

adding a banks turbo, and am wondering a few things...

i just got my rig a while back and it looks like it has been out of the army for a while, as it has been olive drab then fire dept red now camo... the brake pedal was warn nearly to the metal on the inner side/corner... YET the odomiter still shows only 59k miles.

everything SEEMS to be sound on the rig so it could be accurite but assuming it is indeed right and it only has 60k, i assume there are some things that could be refreshed on a motor put into service back in '86???

it is getting some transmition work done on it but to my knowledge, the motor's only ailment is leaks on the rear of the heads... and minor leaks at that.

:grd:
so as of now i plan to pull the heads, get 'em true'd up and put 'em back in as i do the turbo install.

*here's the question*
What else would you all adress at this time to help ensure a SOUND reliable end product? ...or am I most likely fine with what i have planned till some symptoms present?

Thanks GUYS!!!!!

take care!

[thumbzup]

firecontrol86

I think it really depends on how crazy you're going to go with the boost. I'm adding a turbo to mine at some point and I'm planning on all new pistons(maybe forged), pretty much rebuilding the entire bottom end, and rebuilding the heads with HD springs and lifters and all that. But at first running low boost, I think these engines can probably hang. Maybe just do a compression test first and see how you're looking.

With all that being said, I'm only on my first MV and I'm pretty new to diesels so I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will chime in. I mostly worked on little 4bangers before the "Zombie Killer" arrived.

Midnight Rider

Are you installing the turbo or are you having someone do it for you.

If someone is doing it for you, then I would have them check out the engine ahead of time and get their opinion on the matter.

If you are installing the turbo, then your best bet is to do some searching on here. I know others have posted up about their prep work for their turbo installs.

I was thinking about installing a turbo, and I had a chance at a 6.5 setup. Unfortunately the lack of excess money prevented me from going that route.

slickm1008

i'm get'n it off pirate 4x4, it is supposed to have only 300 miles??? but regardless its a standard banks sidewinder i'm think'n its putting 10-11 lbs psi.

as for how its going in, well, i'll prolly do some and my buddy will do more, but i think at thins point i'm after millage so my next step is getting the front & rear regeared to 3.73

...unless you guys are thinking it SHOULD have some more done to it to handel the turbo???

it won't be pulling anything too heavy on a regular basis or mud bogging, just toat'm my narrow hind 1/4's to work etc.

idM1028

ARP makes a head bolt kit for the 6.2's. Figure on about $160-170 for the set. If you want to throw 'em on, might as well do it now when the cylinder heads are getting yanked off. Do you need it? With 10-15 PSI of boost, probably not, but if you have the money for a 2 grand turbo kit, why not? Like I always say, cheap insurance.

DokWatson

I've thought about doing a turbo. A good friend of mine is a diesel technician, and says whatever I do...run a stud girdle and get good quality head gaskets to replace the 20+ year old ones.

kapnklug

If you're taking the heads off it would be a good time to replace the water pump. It's only a $50 part but a real pain to reach it with the engine completely assembled

slickm1008

cool!!!!!

all great info!!!!

thx guys!!!

[thumbzup] ...& nobody even freaked out say'n they shouldn't recieve such an upgrade as it was not there by any doing of the millitary
:lol: