• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Rebuild

FreightTrain

Banned
has anyone here ever rebuilt a LD465?How do you pull the sleeves out and install the new ones?Where did you find the correct bearings?I can only find Mains.I need mains and rods.Also,doing all this in the truck so using a press or taking it to a shop ain't gonna work.....

sermis

I think I am in need of one set of rod bearings. My parts truck has a knock, knock, knock. Starts and runs good otherwise. If you find some and can buy for just one rod let me know.

beaubeau

I don't know much about that engine, but in the past I have taken bearings to a good parts shop or Rebuilding shop and they can Cross Ref..there may be #s on the inside. Good luck, Phil

jasonjc

Look in the back of the parts book it shows the tool for pulling the sleves. It may help you come up with a tool.

gbooth

When I swapped motors out in my truck (the one in had a ventilation hole in it) My good motor had had one of the injectors removed and never had the hole plugged. When I got both motors out removed heads took a big socket on the front nut of the crankshaft solely turned the crank and when the piston started on the up-swing it pushed the liner out.

citizensoldier

When I checked around last year White Owl had most of the stuff,also Clark had the liner kits.. It was $200 a hole for just the liner kits. So after a gasket set,cam,bearings, and machining! aua .. As a last result check Memphis.. They will have it all and know you have checked everywhere else when you call them..
I was after rebuild parts for the LDS-465-1A but all the places told me allot of the parts are the same as the other multis..
It all added up to more than I was willing to spend to rebuild one.. Somewhere I have it all written down if I can find it I will post it.. I later switched gears and figured I would find a crate motor or buy a whole truck just for the parts.. Both these options were cheaper. Good luck and let us know what you find..

citizensoldier

This works

gbooth said:
When I swapped motors out in my truck (the one in had a ventilation hole in it) My good motor had had one of the injectors removed and never had the hole plugged. When I got both motors out removed heads took a big socket on the front nut of the crankshaft solely turned the crank and when the piston started on the up-swing it pushed the liner out.
I learned this trick the hard way. I had to move my dump truck forward about 10 feet. I had pulled the heads and the truck was not in neutral.. Well by the time I stopped all the liners were out.. :shock: Felt like nuetral... stupid me..

saddamsnightmare

RE: This works

January 27th, 2008.

KEEP AN EYE OUT ON EBAY- There's a guy out in Washington State that has NOS Cylinder sleeve puller kits from Uncle Sam for the Multifuel, I got the complete set and box back in December for $9.95 plus shipping ($30.00!!!! due to weight). I might never need it, but if I can suck up tools for the M35A2 like this, look out. These items are being gotten rid of by Uncle, and sooner or later we're all going to need one or the others to keep our trucks going. So now's the time to be going fishing. Just my two cents worth, but the right tools do make the job easier.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks