• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine removal/ repalcement

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm selling one of my dueces but want to swap the engine out with another before I sell.The buyer has agreed to a discount if I can swap engines before I sell. Any tips or tricks from those that have done it? I'm thinking of pulling engine and trans together. What kind of weight am I dealing with?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do a complete powerpack swap and never even drain the coolant. The radiator is attached to the engine and front mount. You would be wise to remove the left fender. Also, have a looksee at the front crossmembers, there are 2 different styles. Other than having lots of parts everywhere, this should be a pretty easy swap. Make sure you have enough room between the truck before you start disecting. Take pics.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started tonight. Removed both engines. I'm in the machinery moving business so I've got forklifts ( from 5,000# to 100,000#). Used a 6,000# lift with a boom. Hooked the back of engine to the end of boom, hooked the front of engine about midway of the boom with a come-a-long so I could raise the front over cross member and snached them out. Piece of cake. The only problem I had was the washers on the bottom of the mounts. They were stuck to the bolts on both trucks. I spent as much time dealing with the washers as I did on everthing else. Now we'll see how easy the mounts line up on install.
Gimpy, I like fooling with stuff like this so it's not that big of a deal. A matter of fact I'm learning a lot about these trucks as I go along.
Recovery, Never thought about leaving the radiator but now that I think about it you are right. I pulled mine though. Why did you say to remove fender? I left mine on and didn't have a problem.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, I'll never do another one with the fenders on the truck. They are sooooo easy to do with the fender off, it's silly. It's not necessary to complete the mission but here at this AO, they get pulled. Here's a pic of the powerpack as pulled from my M108.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed engine in one of the trucks tonight. Me and a friend had it in in about 3 hrs. Was going to take lots of pics but when I tried the battery was dead. I'll try to get some on the next one. There is not a fraction of a inch to spare when trying to get the oil pan over the front cross member. I was rubbing on the crossmember and the firewall but it went. I now know why the lip on the top of the firewall was bent right above the lifting hole.
One of the reasons I was swaping engine was I thought one had lower oil pressure but when I put it in the other truck oil pressure was fine. Must be the gauge. I'm still glad I swapped though. Less oil leaks and C turbo. Another thing is the engine I'm keeping has alot more power than the other. I don't know what's up with that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Derby, no problem getting the engine out with the PTO on it but when I installed the replacement, the PTO was off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks