• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine replacement??

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i have the oppurtunity to get my hands on an M816 for $4k. the only problem is there is a hole in the side of the motor. i havent seen it yet but i was told its a very clean truck. i know that its a heck of a deal if the guy throws in a motor. has anybody ever swapped engines on an 800 series truck?? im very mechanically inclined and i am no stranger to swapping motors i have just never done a diesel or anything this big. is this a hard swap to do?? i will be working in my dirt driveway on this one if i get it. im mainly worried about how im gettin it in and out of the truck. i dont have a gantry or hoist, and my regular engine hoist i use will not work for this.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't swapped a 5-ton but I've done a couple of deuces. Should be close to the same other than more weight. The Cummins is heavy. The duece swap is about the easiest swap I've ever done but you have to have some heavy rigging.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i was thinkin that if i stripped all the sheet metal off the front of the truck and got a backhoe or another wrecker to do the liftin it might not be as bad of a job. getting to all the bell housing bolts in my deuce was easy when i pulled the tunnel, i would imagine they would be just as easy on the cummins. how are the motor mounts, are they like a deuce and right up front and easy to get at?? i just wish this thing would fit in my shop. it would make life so much easier, i hate workin in the dirt.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get an external hydraulic pump, hook the lines to the boom to it, take off the stops (816 has stops right?) and have the truck pull it's own heart out! :twisted:

That's what I would do. How soon do you need to do this? I have an old jaws of life power unit (diesel too) that I could maybe lend you. I have family in NJ near Medford Lakes, so I need an excuse to visit them anyway.

Quite Heavy!

Attached is a fully dressed brand new Cummins NHC 250 in the crate in my old Dodge. Should be a pretty easy swap just make sure you have good chains and a healthy overhead/crane/excavator as other mentioned a harbor freight 1.5 ton crane won't cut the mustard! There is quite a bit of room to work on the NHC 250's in the M809 series so a swap should be fairly easily. Good luck! Make sure to post pictures.
Andy

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing the NHC250 does not weigh 3,200 pounds as specified above, although I am not sure. Perhaps, the poster above is correct. The engine can for a 6.2 liter motor is over 600 pounds empty. The engine can for an NHC250 would have to weigh 1,000 pounds or so. That would mean there is 4,200 pounds in Andy's Dodge dually. Even though they are stout trucks, that would be double that truck's rated capacity and the picture does not show the truck to be squatting much.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dry weight is around 2800 lbs give or take 200 lbs depending if things like the flywheel, starter, etc... are bolted on. Big SOB either way.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When we swapped out the engine in my 816 we pulled the front winch winder, the radiator and a bunch of brackets and stuff. We left the fenders, winch and bumper.
We pulled engine and tranny together. Removal was with another wrecker..re-install was with a big forklift.
It came out and went back in easily but you have to be very slow and careful due to the mass you are moving. Getting a finger between the engine and a solid surface can result in amputation.
Also pre-plan your set down strategy.....have a cradle ready to secure it into. If it falls over it could damage accesories or pour fluids out onto the ground.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuel engine can is 1200#. Don't know if the NHC250 uses the same can but it sure looks the same in the back of that Dodge.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
the weight and the planning is my biggest issues. im waiting to hear if the guy who has it is gonna get me an engine or not. the engine itself is another issue. i cant have this truck sitting in my yard immobile. as soon as it gets here i have to start swappin engines. so if the guy cant get or find me an engine i have to find one so if anybody has one or know where there is one i may be interested. as far as gettin it in and out of the truck i may ask joe in vincentown to come over one day with his 543 and help me out if he still has the truck. right at the moment that part of this is a ways off.

bassetdeuce

I am guessing the NHC250 does not weigh 3,200 pounds as specified above, although I am not sure. Perhaps, the poster above is correct. The engine can for a 6.2 liter motor is over 600 pounds empty. The engine can for an NHC250 would have to weigh 1,000 pounds or so. That would mean there is 4,200 pounds in Andy's Dodge dually. Even though they are stout trucks, that would be double that truck's rated capacity and the picture does not show the truck to be squatting much.
Got an 05 Dodge 2wd dually crew here. Capacity is about 4500lbs. It takes a lot to make em squat.